Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Dentist Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    AustinKnight
    Participant

Hey everyone,

This is my first time I’ve looked for some feedback on here. I’ve built a few websites in the past but this one is probably my best so far. I designed and coded the website. I used the BLANK theme framework from Chris’ Digging Into WordPress Theme Clubhouse.

*Note that the content and images are just fillers and a lot of the pages have no content at all yet. I know it isn’t the best practice to design a site without the content, but I had to make do without.

Looking for any feedback about the design, code, and whatever else….anything good or bad!

http://healthyexpressions.austinknight.net/

Thanks,

Austin

Luminated

I’m noticing a small trend towards placing navigation below headers like this and while I think its somewhat creative, I feel it is not as user friendly nor as aesthetic. Especially for a site like this which should be more on user experience rather than artistic creativity (considering the demographic).

Otherwise, its nice and clean but I assume you’ll be putting a good amount of polish on. It really could use some soft textures and subtle gradients, perhaps some more defined lines between the ‘sections’, to really take it from good to great.

AustinKnight
    Participant

Awesome, that all sounds great! I appreciate the feedback. I’m definitely not finished yet, as I said before, there is no real content yet so the contact page has yet to be done. I will be doing a form as well as a map and what not. Thanks again for your help guys.

-A

chrisadam11

I’m noticing a small trend towards placing navigation below headers like this and while I think its somewhat creative, I feel it is not as user friendly nor as aesthetic. Especially for a site like this which should be more on user experience rather than artistic creativity (considering the demographic).

andrew_wilkerson
    Participant

The design of the website looks very good over all. I like the placement of the navigation, it is different enough that it makes the site interesting but not so different that it is hard to navigate. I like the stripped lower background.

I will say that the top portion has to be the top five most important things. Location, how to schedule, doctors names etc. Otherwise there really isn’t a point to having it. Also it is kind of strange that the top yellow section isn’t the same size as the lower yellow section. You are in the realm that because it is close that it looks like a mistake, even though I am sure that it is deliberate.

Also are you sure that you want to use yellow? While it looks good in the color scheme it does kind of remind me of plaque.

Hope that helps.

ccc630

Overall, a very nicely designed site. Great use of white space makes the site feel open and relaxed. I’m not a fan of the nav below the large slider section — but that’s just a personal preference, not a critique per se. I will say that the light blue font in the “Meet Your Dentist” and “Quick Contact” sections is difficult to see against the background — might have some accessibility issues there. Also, I’m assuming there will be more content in the footer; otherwise, it seems way too large to me. (definitely agree with @betzser above about making the footer nav horizontal).

smogin

I think you should utilize the space on the top right of the site after the logo. This would be a good place to put the phone number, for example, or a call to action encouraging people to schedule appointments. This is prime website real estate and it would be a shame to leave it blank.

Johnnyb

Hey Austin, cool site, I think the layout is great. The only issue I have personally is with the color scheme. Personally, if I’m looking for a dentist’s I’d like words like ‘clean’, ‘clinical’, ‘friendly’ to come to mind. While I feel that the color scheme is warm and friendly, I don’t feel like it gives a clean or clinical impression. Especially as the brown reminds me of mud/dirt and the yellow reminds me of bad/yellow teeth!

Like I said, just my personal opinion! I like the layout a lot, might want to check it out on an iphone/ipad before you launch though as there’s a couple of minor issues.

John

mwarren

the tooth in the logo is WAY pixelated for me and doesn’t match the smoothness of the font in the business name. I would fix that so that they look consistent and smooth.

Also, in your “meet your dentist” and “quick contact” sections, the blue text on grey background makes for a tough read. I would change the background color of those boxes as the color is a weird gray that doesn’t match the rest of your site scheme. Possibly consider going lighter than the main content bg, it’ll make your blue text stand out more.

Last thing, and this might be a personal nitpic, I admit, but i HATE the way that rounded hovers look when 1) the background nav element is square and 2) the background nav element is larger than the hover effect appears. I dunno why, but that look drives me nuts. there some really cool hover effects that you can accomplish with minimal code, so if it were me, I’d change the hovers.

AustinKnight
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback everyone, it helps me out a lot! This is a pretty old post, I forgot to take down the site, I only used it for testing. No more feedback will be necessary on this post now.

derekbtw
    Participant

When I think of doctors I think of ‘cleanliness’ like Jonnyb said. I’d suggest possibly using a little more white because white symbolizes clean and is also a happy color, unlike dark colors.

Maybe colors like this doctor’s website: http://robinbergermd.com

markthema3
    Participant

It looks good… In modern web browsers. Looks terrible in ie6.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.