Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Database Types – Advice?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Matt
    Participant

I’m starting to learn a few MVC frameworks and I have an idea of a basic app that I want to build using a few technologies (react, angular etc) to get a feel for it.

One thing they all have in common is the need for a database so I am going to start there and build out that area in a way that I can use the same backend across the different front ends I want to play with.

My app idea involves Actors and Films, so I need many-to-many relationships in the database and I think I need (what I am referring to as relationship meta).

Where I am creating a relationship between Film and Actor for example:
    In the film “The Social Network” the actor “Jesse Eisenberg” play the role of “Mark Zuckerberg”.

Is relationship meta the right term for this?

Will this limit me to a particular type of database? e.g. not NoSQL or using something like http://restdb.io/?

I’m just trying to get my head around the correct terms and limitations of what I am trying to do.

Thanks for your help

I.m.learning
    Participant

You’d really have to research this for yourself because we do not know what exactly you have planned. Personally, just from what I’ve seen, you want MySQL because data entry is less. Additionally, there is no relationships in NoSQL.

Seems like there’s more work to do for NoSQL because you would have to list the actor several times for each movie…whereas in MySQL, you only need one table for Actors, one table for Movies, and a third to combine them.

*I’m thinking there’s a relationship between NoSQL, MongoDB, and JSON

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.