Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Customizing category posts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chris_s

I’m going to attempt to explain this correctly, but I have included an image to help clarify. I am currently struggling with getting this style for my posts. I am currently using Thematic as a framework and am trying to figure out how to code this correctly. I want my posts to look identical to the PS file I started, but I am not sure where to start. In addition, I am color coding the posts by category as you can see in the bottom left-hand side of the post, under the number of comments ( I know this is a php function within wordpress that I’ll have to tackle at another time). Can someone give me a little insight on where to start here?

Chris

post content

TheDoc

I feel like I’ve said this a lot, which clearly means it bears repeating!

A lot of people struggle with coding for WordPress because they go straight from design to WP. This, in my opinion, even as a seasoned developer, is a mistake.

I always go from Design to HTML Templates. I do all of my testing in the templates, that way I don’t have to worry about wondering what WordPress is going to do to my code.

In terms of actually coding the design, give it a go in HTML and CSS first. If you run into any problems, ask away!

jamygolden

I 100% agree with @TheDoc. The thought of beginning the HTML + CSS development within WordPress never even crosses my mind.

chris_s

Ok, thanks for the advice. I’ll do the markup and css and then come back with it!

chris_s

Since I am using a framework such as Thematic, is it wise to use their DIV’s when marking up my code locally? Here’s the theme’s layout.

Thematic Structure

TheDoc

So many people are using Thematic these days, I have no idea what the benefit is… maybe I should look into that.

I don’t know what to suggest, @chris_s, since I don’t use a framework. I would try to do whatever is easiest for you first.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.