Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Customized TwentyTen reset with WP update

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I started a site right as WP 3.0 was coming out. Rather than use Starkers as I usually do, I customized twentyten to make sure I had access to all the new 3.0 features. Dreadfully, when I updated the site this morning to 3.0.1, all my customized template files – functions.php, single.php, index.php, etc – were reset to the default twentyten files with all my changes gone. Does anyone know what the process is to stop this from happening so it doesn’t occur when the client goes to update the site in the future? Thanks SO much!

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Child themes is the answer. I’m not at home and can’t dig up good links on them but google around. That’s the way to go.

Thanks for your help! I’m on the child themes trail – found this tut: http://op111.net/53 from the WP Codex if anybody else has the same problem. Found this one on WP engineer.com too: http://wpengineer.com/2045/understand-w … ild-theme/. Gonna run through them tomorrow. Thanks again.

So I wasn’t sure if Child Themes was the answer in this particular situation since I had already edited alot of the twentyten template files and those would still get overwritten in an upgrade. So…I think I might have found a different solution.

First, I changed the template name in style.css and theme directory name from twentyten to twentytenchild. Then I went into wp_options and changed the options for "template" and "stylesheet" to twentytenchild. This seemed to do the trick. I downloaded a fresh version of twentyten and dropped it in my themes folder, activated it and then re-activated twentytenchild and everything seems to be fine. The fresh twentyten theme seemed to be pulling in styles from my new stylesheet (not sure why that is happening), but since we won’t be using twentyten, this isn’t a problem for me.

Any SQL/Wordpress wizards out there know if this might not be a good solution for some reason?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.