Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Custom Taxonomy Archive issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jacorre
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I think I’ve exhausted all I can do to figure this one out. I’ve also tried searching for answers and nothing has worked. This is in relation to WordPress.

I have a custom post type of _project_ and a custom taxonomy of _projectcat_. I want an archive for my project category taxonomy. So I created a template file _taxonomy-projectcat.php_.

Am I correct in thinking that I do not have to do any WP_Query or query_posts calls on that template in order to get any posts to appear? Right now if I just keep the normal loop, I get no posts.

If I introduce a query_posts including arguments for post_type=project and projectcat=$term->slug, I see posts, but if I go to page 2 I get a 404?

I have public, publicy_queryable, and has_archive set to true when registering the custom post type.

Please tell me I’m missing something stupid! Or is there a bug?

pixelgrid
    Participant

there are a few thing that could work

make sure you include a paged variable in your query string to the WP_Query

you can find the paged variable like this

$paged = ( get_query_var(‘paged’) ) ? get_query_var(‘paged’) : 1;

also in custom queries sometimes a hack is needed for the pagination to work,change the value of the wp_query global to the value of your query .

$temp = $wp_query;
    $wp_query = null;
    $wp_query = $my_query;

use the structure

have_posts() ) : while ( $my_query->have_posts() ) : $my_query->the_post(); ?>

and after the endif place your pagination links and reset the global query object with the temp you have stored

php next_posts_link ()
    $wp_query = $temp; ?>

jacorre
    Participant

I’m just confused that everything I’ve read about the custom taxonomy template leads me to believe I don’t need to use WP_Query or query_posts. All I need to do is copy the archive.php template file and name it taxonomy-{taxonomy-slug}.php.

Thanks @pixelgrid, I’ll have to give that a try.

jacorre
    Participant

@pixelgrid I tried using WP_Query and I am getting what I expect in terms of seeing the posts I expect, but yes the previous/next links for pagination are not appearing. I’m not sure I understand your suggestion for the pagination hack? If I am using the following:

$paged = (get_query_var(‘paged’)) ? get_query_var(‘paged’) : 1;
    $term = get_term_by(‘slug’, get_query_var(‘term’), get_query_var(‘taxonomy’));
    $project_args = array(
    ‘post_type’ => ‘project’,
    ‘posts_per_page’ => 2,
    ‘paged’ => $paged,
    ‘tax_query’ => array(
    array(
    ‘taxonomy’ => ‘projectcat’,
    ‘field’ => ‘slug’,
    ‘terms’ => $term->slug
    )
    )
    );
    $projects = new WP_Query($project_args);
    if ($projects->have_posts()) : while ($projects->have_posts()) : $projects->the_post(); $cnt++; ?>

How would I apply your hack? I appreciate the help!

jacorre
    Participant

Ok talk about pulling my hair out! I went back to the standard loop but this time I changed the exclude_from_search from true to false when registering the custom post type. The custom posts show up and the paging is working fine. AHHHH! Thanks for the help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.