Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Custom Query or ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    fectio1

Hi,
    I need to display archive post from a specific category with a specific tag and would like to be able to get the permalink to it. Is this possible?

Any direction or suggestions is appreciate or If further explaining is needed.

TheDoc

Is this a specific post or a group of specific posts? If it’s a group, I would do something like this:

Where ## is the id for your category and tag. Then I’d run the loop as normal. Make sure to use wp_reset_query after the loop.

fectio1

It is a group and this will definitely get me started. Thanks. What if I want to link a string of text to this specific archive post group.

basically, I have posts that belongs to a certain category and is tagged with a specific tag. I then have a page that has a link that needs to go to these post. Now, here is the catch.

I have numerous pages. Each page has a a string of text that links to another specific tag and category. I was hoping to use archive.php or tag.php to display all of this and use the permalink to link the text within the page. I really dont want to create a new archive.php or tag.php for each custom query. This is probably confusing, but I could not figure out another way to break the site down.

TheDoc

Aaahhhh… Hmmmm. Off the top of my head I can’t see a different way to do it (other than custom templates per query).

Well, there’s one way that you can do it with a single template, but I’m sure it’ll be the same amount of work, but maybe a little less.

Let’s say you had 5 different queries that have their own page. You could create a new template, name-here.php, and in that template you’re going to have five different loops. You could say,

if( is_page('##') {
    // do loop #1
    }

if( is_page('##') {
    // do loop #2
    }

// etc. ?>

You’d have to select this template from the template drop down of each of the pages. Not the most flexible solution, but maybe something to get your brain churning on it.

fectio1

Awesome. I did not even think of using is page.. Much obliged!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.