Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Curiosity – Validation Wonder

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    creative

I was wondering, I am a validation nuts, I like to validate EVERTHING. So, some times I have done this trick to validate video:

param name="flashvars" value="&file=http://mywebsite.com.com/videos/engagelearn-video.flv&height=300&image=http://mywebsite.com.com/wp-content/themes/wordpress/images/video-baner.jpg&width=600&location=http://mywebsite.com.com/wp-content/themes/wordpress/js/mediaplayer.swf"

I change the & into & to validate the video. How correct is this? It makes the video valid.

Thanks,

TheDoc

That is perfectly valid! That is exactly what you should be doing for any link.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I also have a validation question. Does CSS being validated effect SEO? I’m asking because I can’t get my CSS to validate to save my life. I read Chris’ post on CSS Validation that said…

“If your page looks fine in all browsers but doesn’t validate, meh, who cares. If you validate and the errors are little simple mistakes you can fix, sure, do it. If your page looks broken, validation is one of the best ways to start looking for problems.”

Mine looks the same in all browsers, But I have warnings also. I’m worried that it will effect my SEO when I finish the site.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Easy mistake. FIxed the 42px. It says that I’m using CSS 2.1 but when I validate for CSS 3, I only have 4 errors which is border-radius.

CSS 2.1 = 8 Errors

CSS 3 = 4 Errors

Rob MacKay
    Participant

No, CSS not 100% valid will not effect your SEO. If you want to think about SEO – Google (other search providers are available ;)) looks at your HTML code as you do in your editing package. There is no benefit for it to check your CSS and would create a heck of a lot of work. So when you view source – that’s what Google sees.

Google will work best though if your HTML is correctly structured – and tags are used properly… :)

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Ok so basically I don’t have to worry about the border-radius in my CSS to validate. Font-family will just have to give an error as I can’t change that without effecting my design.

Even though I dont like having errors, It will just have to stick.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Exactly – validation is awesome as a useful tool – and especially when you completely cock up on the use of a tag (IE is harder on sloppy usage oddly too). So sometimes there will be errors or warnings that can not be avoided for some reason or another. As long as it works and you have followed the rules for the most part you are all set :)

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Ok good. Thanks Rob

creative

I think dirty code will affect your ranking in Search Engines (if there is tons of code on the head of the website). If there is a lot of useless info on your website which is not related to your website will affect it more.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.