Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS3 Validation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Alessio
    Participant

So, I’m new to web design in general. I just applied myself and learned basic HTML/CSS last year, and I’m working on HTML5/CSS3. HTML5 is relatively simple, and my HTML5 validates. But, my CSS3 doesn’t. The validator has problems with things like box-shadow and the -webkit- and -moz- properties. It renders in Safari, but when I put it through the validator it says that those properties don’t exist. So, I’m puzzled!

Any help would be appreciated! :)

-Joseph

P.S. What do you think of this site-in-progress? (attached) I’m using Cufon and such, I have a lot of attention to detail including 1px borders, shadows, border-radius, etc. It’s very light-weight. Professional input (i.e., more experienced than I!) would be great.

*edit, update* everything is valid except the -webkit- and -moz- properties, and the border-radius properties that I can’t figure out why they’re wrong. I’ll check on my syntax there.

TheDoc

Technically those things actually aren’t valid.

Don’t worry about it.

EamonnMac

Not to hijack the thread, but it’s the same topic so..

I’m puuting my site through the validator as well and the only errors are the ‘-moz’ and ‘-webkit’ ones, which are fine. What bugs me though are the 40 accompanying warnings. One says ‘Redefinition of height’, another says’ You are encouraged to offer a generic family as a last alternative’, and then 38(!) say:

Quote:
    You have no background-color set (or background-color is set to transparent) but you have set a color. Make sure that cascading of colors keeps the text reasonably legible.

That’s for p, li, h, span, etc. tags – for which I can’t/shouldn’t have to set a background value. What gives? can these warnings be eliminated properly? have I left something out of my stylesheet? (It’s not live atm, so I can’t provide a link unfortunately…)

matt25
    Participant

Yeah, don’t worry about CSS3 validation because technically it doesn’t exist yet so there is no point in even trying to validate it, or if you do validate it to locate any errors just ignore anything to do with CSS3.

@EamonnMac
    Please make a new topic and it would help if you posted a link to your site for us to help you more

Matt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.