Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS3 Background patterns

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    tobeeornot

I’m looking to test some css3 background patterns and have been using the code supplied by Lea Verou but I have had no luck getting them to work on Chrome, Firefox, or Opera. I can’t think why this should be the case, as they should work, at least to some degree, on these browsers. All I am getting is the plain background color specified in the code as a fallback (i’m assuming) Any ideas?

Paulie_D

Difficult to comment without a link or some code.

tobeeornot

@Paulie_D The code is the located behind each pattern.

Paulie_D

Yes I know that but perhaps your implementation is wrong…that’s what we need to see.

BTW…I’m having trouble too but perhaps we’re both doing it wrong.

Brightonmike

I had problems using the code that displays in her popup boxes. I think it’s wrong.

But should be able to find the code by inspecting the code. That worked for me. Also google Patternify for a nice little generator.

There’s also tools on the web that turn images into Base64 code for use in CSS – but only use basic images otherwise it’s too much code.

chrisburton
    Participant

Nothing is wrong. Use browser prefixes if needed. http://jsfiddle.net/wBysV

Paulie_D

The pop-up code isn’t “wrong” but it’s not browser specific unless you have IE10…I think.

I’ve had success by adding vendor prefixes to the gradients.

See here

chrisburton
    Participant

I updated my fiddle. Forgot to add background before the -moz- prefix

tobeeornot

@BrigthonMike – Thanks all for those sources. That is very handy.

@ChristopherBurton – Thanks for that – you really answered my question. Re: browser prefixes, Lea mentions that support is limited at the time of writing. Would you steer clear of using these types of patterns until they are more transferable? I am guessing Chris Coyier has used CSS3 for his background on this site so it must be reasonably well supported?

tobeeornot

@Paulie_D – thanks. It looks good in Chrome!

chrisburton
    Participant

@tobeeornot Yeah, why not? Just use an actual image for those that do not support or you can go as simple as using a color.

tobeeornot

Brilliant! Thanks all!

tobeeornot

@ChristopherBurton – sorry to be a pain but I just tried your jfiddle in Firefox and it didn’t work, which is strange as it has the moz prefix. Also added the vendor prefix for Opera and no luck either.

chrisburton
    Participant

@tobeeornot This one? What version of firefox?

tobeeornot

@ChristopherBurton. Yes , that jfiddle. I am running Firefox 8.0.1.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.