Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS-Validator: How to declare the CSS-Level

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    iSchack

Hey there… I ran into a small problem here… my CSS file doesn’t validate as CSS Level 2.1, but it does validate as CSS Level 3.

If I use the suggested link (http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/check/referer) on my site to show the world how cool I am… well, at least to show those who are interested, that I know how to produce valid code, Jigsaw will tell the person who clicked the link, that my CSS file, in fact, does contain two errors[1].
    Is there a way to declare a CSS file als CSS Level 3? Something in the way of DOCTYPE for HTML/XHTML files?

Well, just to let you know: I’m going to fix those errors anyway. But I’m kind of curious, wether anybody ever thought about that and has come up with a solution…

Thanks in advance!

[1] Those errors have to do with using "overflow-y: auto", which, according to Jigsaw, doesn’t exist in CSS 2.1.

BTW: Anybody ever tried to validate the CSS of this forum? :)

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Funny you ask that, because Pat just answered that question for me:

(I’m assuming you’re using Jigsaw to validate the css)

In the querystring (in the address bar) you will see it says "profile=css21" Change that to: "profile=css3"

Enjoy,

iSchack

Thanks.

So I assume, there’s no way of putting something into the document itself?

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Correct. Nothing yet.

It really isn’t a big deal though because Search Engines and browsers don’t epic fail when they encounter a CSS error, they just skip it (unlike HTML which can hide your entire website).

iSchack

Well, I know that this problem isn’t a real problem… or at least no problem in the real world. :)

Faissl

sorry for revoking such an old topic, but I really need to find out:
    the url that validator gives me- the one with something like “&profile=css2&usermedium=all&warning=2&vextwarning=” – works like charm when I link my neat css badge to it..

the problem is the very same url – just the url – gives me 8 errors and 12 warnings in the markup validator! while the short clean url http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/check/referer gives no markup errors, but it’s locked to level 2.1 of CSS!

iSchack want it to point to level 3 and I want it to point to level 2 !

ideas?

p.s: by the way iSchack. the forum CSS has 300 errors and 3 warning, clicking the referer link in this post :D

Faissl

update: manged to solve the issue after usful help from the irc “freenode/#css”.
    I used the long crappy uri with profile then used the html escape characters by converting all & into

& 

my markup validator liked that solution and now my css and xhtml both valid.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.