Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other CSS-Tricks or my computer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Anyone else seeing random text turned into links with popup ads?

Check this discussion: https://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/25645/solved-feel-out-of-my-comfort-zone-/p1

Paulie_D

Not seeing anything like that.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Paulie_D Yeah, somehow I obtained a virus. Just removed it and everything looks normal.

Paulie_D

> somehow I obtained a virus.

Not something you expert to hear on a savvy web forum!

:>)

__
    Participant

>Not something you expert to hear on a savvy web forum!

[well, …](http://xkcd.com/694/) : p

theacefes

@traq, awesome! :D

chrisburton
    Participant

The alarming part about it is that Microsoft Security Essentials found nothing, neither did a few other antivirus programs I tried using. I got rid of it by restoring my computer to an earlier point. Go figure.

Senff
    Participant

I’ve seen it before — in my case it was nothing more than a Chrome addon/plugin that would scan any web pages you visit for keywords and then add advertisement overlays to it — like what you showed, @chrisburton. Accidentally installed or with malicious intent, of course MS Security Essentials wouldn’t detect that cause being an addon, it’s “legit”.

__
    Participant

It’s all about making it look like it’s part of the free image converter you just DL’d

chrisburton
    Participant

I haven’t downloaded anything in the past week which is why I find this weird. It started right after I updated Google Chrome.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.