Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS Noob: Help with styling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    oguruma
    Participant

Relevant URL: coosguide.com/cat

I am trying to style some category buttons on a wordpress site that I am developing. The categories are for WordPress CPTs from a plugin called GeoDirectory.

I am a total CSS novice and I cannot figure out which selectors I would use to accomplish this.

I want to style my icons to look like THIS.

The categories are inserted with a GeoDirectory shortcode. It seems that they fill the container in 3 equal rows. What I want is show them in the container, aligning them to the left, based on the length of category title.

Dagny
    Participant

Okay so for some reason your plugin is creating a new un-ordered list “ul” for each category – this is so wrong. The correct semantic html should be:

ul > li >a

So I’d suggest to change the plugin or edit its source code to output semtantic code.

I did however wrote the css needed to make the categories look like the screenshot.

https://jsfiddle.net/zxd461t0/

oguruma
    Participant

Thanks for the help with that. That CSS as is didn’t change anything, though.

The CSS below did change the font color and background, however it’s still displaying with 33% width for each of the blocks and excess padding around the text.

.gd-cptcat-ul {
    list-style-type:none;
    display:inline-block;
    padding: 0;
    }

.gd-cptcat-li.gd-cptcat-li-main {
    padding:0;
    background:black;
    }

.gd-cptcat-li.gd-cptcat-li-main a {
    display:inline-block;
    padding: 0;
    color:white;
    text-decoration:none;
    font-size:10px;
    }

Paulie_D

The styling seems to be coming from

.geodir-categories-container ul {
        display: inline-block;
        width: 33%; /* remove this */
        min-width: 185px; /* and this */
        list-style: none !important;
        padding: 0 !important; /* perhaps adjust this */
        margin: 0;
        vertical-align: top;

Dagny
    Participant

oguruma , my CSS will only work if you remove the default styling (and your own)

Dagny
    Participant

Meant to say if you remove the plugin styling and yours *

oguruma
    Participant

I got it dialed pretty much how I want it, but something is setting the height to 45px, which is creating a margin that I don’t want. I just can’t figure out which selector I need to set the height to auto.

Dagny, I actually believe that the plugin creates a ul for each category because there is a switch for subcategories. I have that switch turned off, so it only shows the main category.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.