Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] css negative padding

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Manojnaanak
    Participant

please tell me anyone.

can we give padding in menus?

example:
    {
    padding-left:-15px;
    }

is this proper way or not???

thanx in advance

Paulie_D

Certainly you can use padding in menus but there really isn’t any such thing as ‘negative’ padding.

You could use negative margins but there generally isn’t really a good reason to. Properly structured HTML and logical CSS will accomplish your design without using any odd ‘clever’ hacks.

Manojnaanak
    Participant

sometime in joomla and wordpress default template used our custm design

Senff
    Participant

Negative padding: absolute NO. Not valid, isn’t logical, makes no sense, etc.

Negative margin: generally not needed but there are situations where it’s really useful (I disagree with @Paulie_D — I definitely don’t think it’s a ‘hack’ to use negative margins).

Taufik Nurrohman
    Participant

People create the ‘box out effect’ with a negative margin.

Senff
    Participant

Of course somewhat outdated, but still a good article in defense of negative margins: http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2009/07/27/the-definitive-guide-to-using-negative-margins/

Paulie_D

Sorry…I didn’t mean to imply that one should never use negative margins….only that using them to ‘fix’ a problem is generally bad.

Using them to position an object because the design calls for it is, of course, entirely reasonable.

Senff
    Participant

@PaulieD I wasn’t calling you out, sorry if it sounded like that! Just don’t think it qualifies as a ‘hack’. But it does have this stigma of “bad practice” anyway, so it’s all good. :)

jgodek
    Participant

There is a case for negative padding. I want an border framed around a div. This border is a styled image to create a frame design around the div. I need the container div to appear to be inside the parent div so the parent divs border frames it. I can’t use negative margins since the container div is above the parent div in the DOM. So negative padding would be great here.

Paulie_D

Negative padding here doesn’t sound like a solution, a extra div or border-image sounds like a better option.

jgodek
    Participant

It seems border image doesn’t frame a div it just creates a border around it.
    I had this post made last week. It shows basically what Im tying to do.

Post on CSS tricks

Paulie_D

OK, but negative padding is NOT going to achieve that look..a proper border-image could but it would be somewhat inflexible as it would require an image with a background the same as your background color so it would blend in.

With a slider…it would probably be even worse.

jgodek
    Participant

Yeah Im thinking to achieve this may not be worth the hassle.
    Might b easier to do just add a frame to the images inside the slider. Thanks for your help.

kenmwebaze
    Participant

Okay, You are right. However, in cases where you inherit another designer’s style sheet, you may need a quick stitch and find the need to apply a negative margin especially if you wish to hide the already curved image edges whose write up you don’t wish to revisit.

I applied it my self in the line that follows;
    .ptnx{ padding-left:15px; padding-right:15px; padding-bottom:0; padding-top:0px; margin-top:-1px; auto; color:#444; }

no, but you can use as margin….

{
    margin-left:-100px;
    }

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.