Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS Margin Reset not affecting body element

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    swlego

I’m working on a page that uses some similar styling as Chris’s new WordPress site shown in the screencasts. Amazing site BTW, Great resource. I started with the footer and I want it to stretch all the way across the bottom of the page (edge-to-edge, I’ll worry about vertical positioning/stickiness later)

I’m doing the *{} reset, and I’ve used it before, but I’m trying to be cleaner with my CSS this time around. If I use the CSS as shown below, my footer div appears fine on the page (at the top, haven’t styled anything else yet), but I’ve got about a 10px margin all the way around the footer div (Firefox and Safari). I thought the *{} reset applied itself to all elements? I can fix the erroneous margin by adding a "margin0;" to my body styling, but I don’t want to repeat myself if the *{} reset should be getting it.

Am I missing something about how the body element and the reset work?

Thanks in advance!

Here’s the CSS:

*{
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    }

body{
    background: url("../images/body-BG.jpg");
    }

div#footer{
    background: #2c2c2c;
    height: 42px;
    border-top: 5px solid #9b9b9b;
    }

swlego

box, you nailed it. I was using transitional, not strict. I guess I need to read up on their differences and understand why to use one and not the other. That took care of the issue in Firefox and Safari. I really need an intel mac so I don’t have to run freakin’ slow VPC, can everyone just stop using IE? Please?

Thanks for your help!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.