Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS Margin Issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ash149
    Participant

Hey!

Basically, don’t have a clue what I’m doing wrong here, perhaps I’ve missed something but was wondering if anyone could have a look for me and see what’s going on?

I’ve got a pretty big header on the website I’m doing, and need the logo positioned in the center (horizontally) and about 200/300px from the top of the header..

Here is my code so far:

HTML

The logo

CSS

* {
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    }

body {
    background-color:#000;
    }

header {
    width:1072px;
    height:776px;
    background-image:url(images/header-bg.jpg);
    margin:0 auto;
    }

header h1 {
    background-image:url(images/logo.png);
    display:block;
    width:520px;
    height:257px;
    text-indent:-9999px;
    margin:110px auto;
    }

Problem: with the top margin of the h1 set to 110px, it pushes the header down from the top of the view port by 110px also.

I’ve tried: playing around with making the header position:relative; and the header h1 position:absolute which I could get it to work, but I just what the h1 to apear in the center of the page, really without having to absolute position it

I managed to get the h1 down by placing a padding-top:110px; but that then made the height of the h1 higher so don’t really wanna do that.

Don’t understand what’s going on, I was sure that using margin on something only effected that element and pushed it away from elements it was inside of etc?

Any ideas?

Hugely appreciated,

Ashley

seb_z_lite
    seb_z_lite

guy’s got a theory about the phenomenon!

seb_z_lite

forget that.

wolfcry911
    Participant

Its margin collapse and its normal behavior (see this article). There are couple of ways to fix the ‘problem’. You could add a 1px (or any size) top padding or top border to header. Either will give the h1’s margin something to ‘push’ against. Or you could add overflow: hidden; to header (as Paulie_D states above, but probably for a different reason). Setting overflow to anything but the default changes its context and in this case will force the h1 margin to be within the header.

seb_z_lite

the body’s top margin collapses and pushes everything down.

wolfcry911
    Participant

the body’s top margin doesn’t come into play here.

Ash149
    Participant

Thanks everyone! Your responses have been excellent!

I ended up making the header relative then absolute positioning h1 but after going through your responses I’ve taken the positions away and just added the display:hidden to the header and it worked fine!

Thanks! :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.