Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS Animation of a background

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TechStudio

I’m scratching my head over this wondering if there is a fairly compliant way to do it. I have an element with 3 stacked backgrounds. I’m using Modernizr to detect if multiple bgs are possible before displaying it. But what I want to do is swap out the middle of the 3 stacked backgrounds on a timer. I’m trying to decide if this is possible with CSS transitions. Is there a way to perhaps use a cross-fade style transition and use a bit of supplemental jQuery to rotate out some classes on a timer?

I’d appreciate anyone’s thoughts to help me solidify the idea.

Or maybe I need to rethink the way I am going about this altogether.

TechStudio

Supplement:

What’s really putting me in a jam here is that I want to cross-fade the middle of 3 backgrounds. The reason is because of the shadowing and layering of the element’s parts. I don’t want to use multiple elements stacked if I can avoid it. Maybe I really do just need someone to tell me I’m thinking of this all wrong.

/scratches head

TechStudio

I think so much more than I talk/type. In my head I still don’t differentiate between transitions and animation. This would of course be an animation.

I’m tinkering too. I think it’s definitely going to take some jQuery to change the classes out. And it might be too poorly supported to implement. Thanks for spending some time on it.

TechStudio

Here I am having a conversation with myself again. What I wanted to do just isn’t going to work. To make the animation work you would have to ease an opacity value. You can’t set the opacity of a background image as far as I know, especially not one independent background image in a stack of three using multiple backgrounds.

Insert face into palm. I’m going about this in a totally different way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.