Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Critique my website please.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Yep it is. You also might dislike me after this but after creating the code I realized it wouldn’t be possible to do the active state by flipping since you have text. Therefore, you will have to add in the active buttons in the sprites.

Waffle

Hahaha, Nah Not bothered, easily done.

Btw, are you a full time web designer?

Waffle

I have left space for the Drop Shadow… So theres a tiny gap between each button

chrisburton
    Participant

Yes I am.

Check out the example here
    Click Preview

Waffle

Wow, Thats really good. Looks exactly like mine.

chrisburton
    Participant

just copy the code for each button. (Contact, Web Design, etc) and replace image sprite

Eamonn

Is there no Off state for the panels once their expanded? The height of the page expands by almost two thirds when every panel is opened. I would definately have a look at that.

Also, in an effort to keep things above the fold, have you tried listing your buttons horizontally? Maybe just activating the one content area below them (i.e. just switching content in the same screen area) so users dont have to scroll.

The BG has been touched upon before in this thread, but definately (IMHO) needs changing. I take your point that you like the repeating pattern, but I think you should take on board the fact that no-one else seems to like it :) The repeat makes it look like you made your website with MS Publisher…

Nit-picking now, but both your portfolio sites look exactly the same – even the same treatment of the company names, same fonts, menu layout, content areas, everything! Your portfolio should reflect the best you can manage, not your favourite template. Make a for-display-only site instead (in fact, make a few) if you havent gotten actual clients yet to showcase your skills.

Eamonn

Ahh – off-state working now – must have been me :P

chrisburton
    Participant

Make sure to change the file path to the images, including the one I made.

Waffle

RIGHT :D the Sprites are done, Thank you so much Chris.

chrisburton
    Participant

You’re Welcome

Waffle

I will rememeber how to do this for future reference.

What are your thoughts on the background?
    What do you think would look good, it has to be something dark otherwise the buttons don’t stand out as well.

chrisburton
    Participant

Instead of going dark, try using noise on a neutral color for a background. Test out some ideas instead of sticking to one particular color.

TheDoc

Your background image (the static) is 1.66mb – this is WAY too big of a size. Something that is as simple as that should be around 100kb.

chrisburton
    Participant

You can also achieve that same exact effect with javascript and save on loading time.

Simple Tutorial Here

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.