Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Create a Website as nice as CSS-Tricks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Reptar

I know some HTML coding and I know some CSS coding but nothing else and I have just started trying to learn this and teach myself via the internet. I want to make a website as nice as this one, CSS-tricks.com I like this website because it’s clean, aesthetically pleasing, and although it’s design is fairly simple it is very nice and "advanced" looking. If I wanted to make a website as nice as this one what would I need to learn? Do I need to learn php, css, javascript or something else? Maybe I need to learn all of them? I have been asking on forums and trying to find a website or a book of some kind that will teach my how to build a nice website from top to bottom. Although there are places, like here, that teach individual traits of a website I can’t find anything that goes through the step by step process of making a website from top to bottom. Teaching how to code the header/banners, then the navigation, then the body of the website and how to create the box that has all the content/ position it and how to make the footer and what the coding should say in order to make all of those things. From what I understand the way the website looks, fonts and colours and the "style" of it is coded above and seperate from the content of the website and I just don’t know exactly where to start and what questions to ask in order to create a site from top to bottom.

Reptar

The website I’m trying to create is going to be similar to sites like fmylife and givesmehop in that people submit small stories and they are voted on and then put onto the site. I’m starting to think it might be easier for me to just buy a website template from somewhere like the woods place that is kind of like this website and put in my own information then to make a website from scratch. The only thing is are there any website templates for something like fmylife where stories can be submitted into a blogish format?

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

This is, in my own versioning system, the 12th redesign of this site over the course of 3 years.

So, design the site, use it, and continually evolve it to meet needs and grow aesthetically over the course of time. You’ll get there!

If you want a template to get you started, ThemeForest has nice stuff.

Reptar

What is "an own versioning system"? I’m so new to this and not sure what to do or where to start. I’ve started trying to learn CSS and HTML but there’s so many other things I get confused.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.