Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Covert Array Elements to Individual String Variables

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    smerdonw

I’m looking for a way to easily loop through the elements of an Array and create individual String variables. I’ve messed around a bit with for and foreach and can get the loops to display the elements but really need to incrementally save them into strings so I can operate on them later. I can’t use a function as the environment I will be using this script does not support them. I would appreciate any help.

HarZens

Here’s something I made for you, I hope you can understand it with the comments I left!

Code:
            # The array with data
            $array = array( ‘value 1’, ‘value 2’, ‘value 3’, ‘value 4’, ‘value 5’ );
            # Let’s print out what the array has and how
            var_dump($array);
            # Run over each item
            foreach($array as $key => $value)
            {
                # We will store the new variable’s name in this variable
                # Notice how I’m using the key from the array’s element to create a dynamic name for the “individual variable”
                $var_name = ‘variable_’.$key; 

# Here, I’m using one of the features that PHP has for variables. And it is that you can actually name a variable with a variable.
                # In the first run, the Key value will be 0, so the $var_name will be “variable_0″. On the line below, I’m assigning the value from $value to $$var_name.
                # But here is the thing, PHP will first interpret $var_name, making it look like $variable_0 and then assign the $value to that dynamically named variable.
                $$var_name = $value;

# In this line I’m just storing the NEW variables names so I can use them later
                $new_variables_list[] = $var_name;
            }

# We could print the list of new variables just to see what happened
            var_dump($new_variables_list);

# In this foreach I’m using the saved list to iterate on the new variables and see if it worked, and if it did, what name/values they have.
            foreach($new_variables_list as $nvl)
                echo ‘$’.$nvl.‘ = “‘.$$nvl.‘”;<br />’;

# Now go have fun :D      

On the other hand, and out of curiosity, why would you create individual variables instead of using the array itself?

Instead of calling it using "$new_variable_name_0", you could simply use "$original_array[0]"… But I’m curious, there should be a reason for it, I guess.

Hope it helped you!

Cheers,
    HarZens

smerdonw

Thanks! I will take a little time to digest it but it looks good. I using an online web tool which allow me to embed PHP and I needed a script that I can use to grab the values from the results of an answer and put them into individual variables so I could include them in a resulting email. Since the answers value will vary in quantity, I needed to run through what was there and set the value of a hidden question for each and then I could include them in a email.

smerdonw

Hey HarZens,

Is there a long way to implement the $$var_name = $value; statement? Unfortunately within the environment available to me, I can’t use all of PHP’s features.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.