Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Copy folder contents to another location on VPS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant
    ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd stop

Ah. That seems to work. Any way to use it as a service with the name dropbox? This way I can do:

dropbox start

nixnerd
    Participant

You’ll need to set up an alias for that. Should be able to do it in your .bashrc config. Where is that on a Mac Alen?

nixnerd
    Participant

Run this and see what happens:

nano ~/.bashrc
    Alen
    Participant

It’s just running it from specific location.

~/ is a shortcut to your home folder.
    .dropbox-dist is a folder, and
    dropbox is a script

You could just make an alias

alias dropbox='~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd'

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp Why does my Mac have anything to do with it, just curious? I’m installing this on my VPS (Centos 6 – 64bit).

Also, I had no issue with this before. I never had to create an alias to use the dropbox as a service to my knowledge.

Alen
    Participant

Yeah, you’ll have to add alias on the server. Not sure how Centos handles that. But there should be bashrc file or .profile in your home folder.

Just do ls -la from your home folder to see what files are there

nixnerd
    Participant

Why does my Mac have anything to do with it, just curious? I’m installing this on my VPS (Centos 6 – 64bit).

Dude… I’m so sorry. I thought we were messing around with dropbox locally. My bad.

For some reason… I thought you wanted to drop files in your home folder and have them sync to whatever your localhost is configured as. My bad dude. I don’t know why anyone would want to do that but I didn’t want to second guess you. Figured you had your reasons. Ha ha ha.

I almost thought about asking… “Hey Chris… why not just put the files there to begin with?”

An alias will definitely work for what you want though.

Sorry guys… I know nothing about dropbox… so I’ve been of little help.

chrisburton
    Participant

Neither of those worked either. Would using Ubuntu as an OS be more simple?

nixnerd
    Participant

No. Dude… I really think you should stick with CentOS. It’s probably one of the most widely used server choices.

Were you unsuccessful in setting up your alias?

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp

For some reason… I thought you wanted to drop files in your home folder and have them sync to whatever your localhost is configured as. My bad dude. I don’t know why anyone would want to do that but I didn’t want to second guess you. Figured you had your reasons. Ha ha ha.

So it’s basically the opposite of that. Any changes to my Desktop version of Dropbox will automatically sync to my VPS.

nixnerd
    Participant

It’s probably one of the most widely used server choices.

Well… RHEL is. But CentOS is basically free RHEL.

chrisburton
    Participant

Were you unsuccessful in setting up your alias?

That’s an understatement. I’m almost about to give up.

nixnerd
    Participant

So it’s basically the opposite of that. Any changes to my Desktop version of Dropbox will automatically sync to my VPS.

Yeah… you made that perfectly clear. I have no idea why I went in that direction.

nixnerd
    Participant

That’s an understatement. I’m almost about to give up.

Nooooo! Don’t do it. What do you get when you open your bashrc with nano? Is there stuff in there?

chrisburton
    Participant

I’m getting command not found. Let me do a little research so I’m not asking simple questions that I can just google.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.