Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Convincing My Close-minded Teacher

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nolan

My teacher is an old school close-minded Microsoft only programmer. I’m competing in a website design team, but my teacher is making us do the site in asp.net just for the pure sake of using master content pages, I believe PHP includes would be way more practical, but I he doesn’t know anything about PHP, and when I asked him, he said absolutely not, and that if its not Microsoft,it’s the devil. I thought this would be the best place to get any advice on how to convince him, or if its impossible and just to give in.

al_m473
    Participant

the question is not what to use, rather ask who is marking your work?

if the mark means something to you, just use MS stuff, otherwise I guess you can use whatever you wish.
    what would you do in the work world if someone whp pays your paycheque told you to use software you don’t
    want to use, again it depends on whether you want the pay cheque or not.

he who pays the piper usually calls the tune

Al

TheDoc

Sorry, this is a certified teacher at a school? If it is, complain to the dean.

Calling PHP the devil is ridiculous.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

If you have the time, do it both ways and then show him the advantages of doing it your way. You may not win the day, but your ammunition for doing the right thing will be stronger.

"chriscoyier" wrote:
    If you have the time, do it both ways and then show him the advantages of doing it your way. You may not win the day, but your ammunition for doing the right thing will be stronger.

I have to agree with Chris here, I found myself in a similar situation with a University prof in my first year..

Ultimately I ended up writing and submitting 2 versions of my project, one which frankly was correct.. and the other what I was being asked to do.

If nothing else it will earn you some extra credit for forward thinking without deviating from the task you were set

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.