Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Controling line breaks in headings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    inktrap
    Participant

What would be the best way to add break opportunities to headings? I was thinking of wrapping spans around a few logical chunks and using white-space: nowrap.

Paulie_D

Frankly, IMO, headings shouldn’t need to break…

If your heading is that long you’re probably using too many words. :)

From MDN with my emphasis

A heading element briefly describes the topic of the section it introduces.

Alternatively, perhaps you need to think about restructuring one giant heading into a main heading and subheadings.

If you’re really that concerned about it then the option you suggest would be logical but an entirely manual process which is a big downside.

Wayde Shepard
    Participant

do you have padding reduced on it?

inktrap
    Participant

I’m not talking about mile-long headings. I just want normal titles to break where I want them to, instead of arbitrarily, when viewed on a small screen (e.g. smartphone). For, example I would prefer the the title of this thread to break in one of these places: Controling | line breaks | in headings

I’m a bit worried, too, about white-space: nowrap breaking layout, at least when used with longer words, that’s why I’m asking if there’s a good solution available.
    Something like <wbr> would be ideal if only it wasn’t just for breaking words.

And, Wayne, I don’t understand what padding has to do with it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.