Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Connecting to database from another website secure?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    schart
    Participant

Okay so this is kind of a big question, so bare with me.
    Basically what I want to achieve is to have another website connect to my database on a small app that I have provided them, without them knowing my database credentials.
    Say I’m creating a comment system (I’m not, this would not be the way to go) and I would store every comment in my database. I would give them a code that will display comments from my database, without them getting access whatsoever to my database credentials – host, username and password.

How would I go about doing this? Is a simple php include() going to do the trick or do I need to go into other methods. I see comment installment is typically done with a Javascript file linked or sourced to the page it should be inserted into.

Please give me a sample code of this code being given to another server without them getting into the code itself, or not getting into the database connection atleast.

$connect = mysql_connect("host", "username", "password");
    $selectdb = mysql_select_db("d_b");
    $string = mysql_escape_string($_REQUEST);
    $query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table WHERE detail = '$string'");
    while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($query){
    $something= $row;
    }
    echo($something);
    ?>

Thank you.
    – Schart

Schmotty
    Participant

Some servers have limitations on including files on other servers, for security reasons. So you’ll have to test that. You can create additional MySQL users that you give read only access.

You could do it where you have a page that includes another page returning the information and let other sites link to that with an iFrame, like how facebook does it.

http://www.yoursite.com/comments?user=username:

$user = $_GET;
    if (verifyusercode($user)){
    include(schartsfile.php);
    }
    ?>
    warymighty

Please, anyone here to help me correct this code, it was telling me that could not connect to database.
    My site is flashysky.com
    database name : is flashysky

please help me to correct it and send it to my email [email protected]

I will really appreciate if you can help me out.

Thanks.

$mysql_hostname = “flasycom_flashysky”;
    $mysql_user = “flasycom@localhost”;
    $mysql_password = “household”;
    $mysql_database = “flasycom_flashysky”;
    $prefix = “”;
    $bd = mysql_connect($mysql_hostname, $mysql_user, $mysql_password) or die(“Could not connect database”);
    mysql_select_db($mysql_database, $bd) or die(“Could not select database”);

?>

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.