Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Conditionally loading images – IE8 Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    robhawk

Hello,

I am currently using reposnd.js to assist in making my site responsive for legacy browsers but I’ve come up with what is to me (as in i’m very poor with javascript) a pretty big issue.

On all modern browsers including IE9 my conditional loading of images for larger screen sizes using matchMedia (all code obtained from the excellent Implementing Responsive Design book – see below) works perfectly but on IE8 I’m left with empty spaces where the images should be loaded. I’ve spent the past couple of hours looking around for a solution but to be totally honest have ended up in a state of near total confusion.

I’d really appreciate it if someone would spend me the time to a) recommend a robust solution and b) explain how it should be implemented within my site.

If it helps here is the code (from the book) that I’ve been using:

< div data-src="images/supporting-project1.jpg" class="support">

and the javascript

window.onload = function() {

//images enhancement
    if (window.matchMedia(“(min-width: 46.875em)”).matches) {
    //load in the images

var lazy = Utils.q(‘[data-src]’);
    for (var i = 0; i < lazy.length; i++) {
    var source = lazy.getAttribute(‘data-src’);
    //create the image
    var img = new Image();
    img.src = source;
    //insert it inside of the link
    lazy
    .insertBefore(img, lazy.firstChild);
    $(‘.support img’)
    .removeAttr(“width”).removeAttr(“height”)
    .css({height: “auto” });

};

I Understand that matchMedia is not supported for IE8 hence why this approach fails for this browser.

Any help could would be much appreciated.

Regards

Rob

dechowmedia

The images are not loaded because that you are actually referring to the images with the data-src. The JavaScript itself creates a img tag with the image when loaded (hitting the matchmedia query).

What I would recommend is to use the noscript tag and use that as a fallback for old IE:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.