Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Concrete 5

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    azteck2
    Participant

Does anyone have any insight to the Concrete 5 CMS? I started playing with it because of how easy it is to create themes for it and it’s user friendliness when editing pages for the end user. If anyone has some experience using it I would like to know if it is worth using for client projects (ie. still be around in a couple years, add-on functionality, maintenance, etc.), basically is it a long term solution?
    Thanks ahead of time for some insight,
    Matt

I had a look at Concrete 5 a while back. It looks like a really good system – in place editing, really funky stuff.

What put me off was, although the basic system is free and open source, they sell a bunch of addons for it. This means as soon as you want to do anything beyond the basics the $$$ start adding up.

I much prefer the community based approach of WordPress. Having lots of free & open themes and plugins makes learning it so much easier since you can take, learn and adapt what’s out there without encumbrance. There’s also loads of resources, websites and individuals willing to help you out. Although premium themes / plugins exist for WordPress you can either take them or leave them. With Concrete 5 it seems like premium is the only way to go. Perhaps I’m misreading the situation, I don’t know.

I strongly believe if Automatic went out of business tomorrow (unlikely), WordPress would carry on in one form or another. I’m not so sure about Concrete 5 – however it’s so hard to tell with open source what’s going to take off and what’s not.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.