Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Computer Science Degree

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I understand this is only loosely related to web design but does anyone know what careers a computer science degree could take me? Also, Roughly what sort of wage I would be looking at, It would be great to contact a computer science graduate to gain a better understanding of the potential, Thanks.

chrisburton
    Participant

The Founder of Treehouse has a Computer Science degree and so does Lea Verou. You probably wouldn’t be under contract for a wage but rather a salary and that varies.

__
    Participant

If it turns out that you both *enjoy* CS and have a *talent* for it, it can only be a benefit. Some employers require degrees, some don’t; all (worthwhile) employers require ability. In addition, a degree will often get you a *higher* salary.

bkbillma

Starting average is like $55k. Might be higher now as that was 3-4 years ago for CS. But most CS was targeted at hard core coding back then

Thanks guys great responces, I am going to be studying these subjects all at A-Level next year, Computing, Maths, Physics and Business, Will these put me in good standing to be accepted onto a CS Course? Also, does anyone know the difference between a CS degree and a software Engineering Degree?

Thanks In advance

Andy Howells
    Participant

@adamhodgson – the best advice I can give you is to do a course you want to do and will enjoy – not necessarily one that sets you up on a preselected career path (unless that career is absolutely one you want).

University will present you with the biggest challenge of your life so far personally and professionally – make sure you’re doing a course you will want to attend and will be excited about to get up to go to after a heavy night of drinking.

Ahaha, Thanks Andy. Few more years to go but I’d really love a career working in IT Designing / pioneering the future of technology and changing the world for the best! I’ve done some searching ahead of chooseing my A-Levels and with a bit of work, Hopefully I can get the grades required. Bring on the late night Uni Lifestyle!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.