Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Computer for web programming

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    sergeivisotsky
    Participant

Is this notebook good for web programming or bad http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-i3-370M-Processor-DVD-Super-Windows/dp/B005WOEJBA#productDetails? How do you think?

Paulie_D

Good in what way?

sergeivisotsky
    Participant

Performance. Write code, working in Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator, watch videos etc.

Paulie_D

Then yes although many web professional prefer Mac products.

sergeivisotsky
    Participant

I prefer Mac products too, but I haven’t got much money to buy this very expensive products.

Ricky55

I use mac too, there are some great apps for mac for design in general. Plus they are just better in every way IMO. Looking at windows 8 ms are moving even further away from osx.

Any modern computer is fine for building websites though, writing code is one of the least demanding things you can ask of any computer.

chrisburton
    Participant

I actually prefer OS X over Windows any day. And I also prefer Retina Display. The only thing that comes close (actually exceeds) is the Chromebook Pixel.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

For programming I prefer windows 7 OS merely because most programming professionals use .net and utilize windows apis. But as for web dev or design a good amount of ram and hdd will do you just fine. A lot of people rave about MACs, enough so that I can’t say anything bad expect the price (however I’m also cheap). i bet most people here will tell you to get a MAC so if you got the money for it, do it.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

Let me just add this as well, considering i have never used a mac and grown up using windows, my judgement is probably pretty biased. But as long as I can remember, any office I ever walked into for consulting (for java, c#, etc) they used the standard corporate windows 7 and everyone one the design and web side used macs. Must speak pretty highly of macs if everyone in that field is using them. I love windows is but if you get something that has great power and speed, it is all you need. Why not custom build a computer?

Alen
    Participant

I’ve never been disappointed with Business Class Dells I buy from [Dell Outlet](http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/latitude-laptops.aspx?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&~ck=mn) Latitude line is really good. I think I’ve spent $500 on used laptop and ordered 8GB’s RAM from NewEgg and it’s been nothing but amazing… Eventually, will add SSD, that thing will scream

Baerspective
    Participant

it is the luck of the draw with so many of these laptops. anymore, it is really hard to tell which one of those many brands is superior as manufacturers buy their parts from the same factories, e.g motherboard, cpu, RAM……so, my suggestion would be, and it’s what i tell people: find out how good the support is if u need help (generally lousy across the board). then buy mid level and add RAM. and like many folks said above: SSD. honestly, the only difference at this point, visible difference is the display. under the hood they are all just about the same. i’ve worked on many , owned many before switching to Mac. trust me: it is the luck of the draw no matter what others say…..

zedmus

The main thing I noticed is that it does not have a discrete graphic chip. It may possibly chug a little on applications like photoshop and illustrator.

webtmc
    Participant

I recently switched to mac after avoiding the switch for years. Now, a year later, I should have switched years before. I have never had an issue with my mac not being able to do a single thing that a windows machine could do. Also, with a virtual machine, Parallels specifically, you can run windows seamlessly. If you have 2 monitors you can run windows on one monitor and mac on the other.
    Mac’s also have a resell value that is high vs. a non to very low resell value with any PC laptop. Buying a mac is basically an investment vs. buying a PC as an expense. Just my 2cents but I doubt you would be disappointed for buying a mac.

sergeivisotsky
    Participant

I very like Mac but I haven’t money for this.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

I had the opportunity to work on several computers. I’ve came to prefer Mac products for one simple reason: the hardware is better. Not only it is very polished (not that I care much), but it is very well ventilated, pretty lightweight, quiet and the trackpad is by far the best I could use in any laptop.

Regarding the OS I’m pretty cool with the 3 major ones however I feel like I’m more and more into Linux (note that I’m definitely not a designer).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.