Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Computer Done For?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Erik
    Participant

So.. I messed up again.

I stuck in my windows 7 disk and booted up and did a system restore.

Problem now is:

error: no such partition
    Entering rescue mode…
    grub rescue>

So.. I never remove Ubuntu or anything.. so what now.

__
    Participant

When you installed Ubuntu, did you choose the “dual boot” option?

Erik
    Participant

Yes I did duel boot.

__
    Participant

Do you still have the USB (or CD) that you used to install Ubuntu? If you boot with it (choose [Try Ubuntu], not [Install Ubuntu]), there is an excellent program called gparted that you can use to check out your hard drive.

As for the Windows side of things, I’m sure there’s someone more qualified than I to get it working. I haven’t seriously used Windows in years. Is the Windows disk you have a full installation disk, a “restore to factory state” disk, or just a “restore point” cd?

edit this page might be helpful.
    (disclaimer: for your review; I have never had this problem nor tried to fix it.)

Erik
    Participant

Yes, I just booted with the Ubuntu disk now and clicked Try

I do have the discs to restore to factory state.

__
    Participant

I do have the discs to restore to factory state.

Is this what you are using when you get the “partition” error?

(also, see my edited post above)

Erik
    Participant

Yes, I just threw in the factory windows 7 disc and went through the factory install discs.. then when got to last disc that notice came up.

Alen
    Participant

Can you perform clean install of Windows? Not restore, but clean, complete factory re-install.

__
    Participant

Weird. Every “factory restore” disk I’ve ever used put the whole hard drive back where it was, regardless of what I’d done to it in the meantime.

I’d suggest doing some research on this error. Go slow (don’t do anything “on-the-fly”) and keep track of what you’re trying and the results. If you look at that page I linked, note that it’s not Microsoft (doesn’t mean it’s bad, but know it’s not official).

Alen
    Participant

It must be GRUB issue. It will prevent Windows from recognizing the disk. In the past I’ve had to zero out the drive and reformat it again.

Erik
    Participant

@Allen Yes, I made these 4 disc right when I bought the computer..

I can restore the computer to factory settings.. it wipes out the hard drive etc..

They are Acer recovery discs

Erik
    Participant

@Traq I don’t have a “repair” option when I use the windows boot disc..

I only have:

1. Select Lang

Then:
    http://imgur.com/rzipaD1

__
    Participant

I can restore the computer to factory settings.. it wipes out the hard drive etc..

So far, I have been assuming that you backed up all your files before you started this. I hope this is correct…?

Also, I have used bootrec for various boot record issues, with success. That may be something to try before completely wiping everything.

While you were using Ubuntu, did you try booting into Windows? did it work?

I don’t have a “repair” option when I use the windows boot disc.. I only have:

Which option did you choose?

Erik
    Participant

@Traq Yes, I do this wipeout and start over like every 3 months so everything I need is on flash drives.

When I have Ubuntu I would go between Windows and Ubuntu.. if that’s what you mean.

Alen
    Participant

Is that what you’re attempting to do?

Is it failing at this, or the restore option?

See @traq ‘s response!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.