Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Competing Text Formatting…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Let me preface this by I don’t know much about CSS and I figure stuff out as I go along so hopefully this will make sense to you:

The password to my site linked below is:
    password: testing

In order to get my main blog “content text” the color, font and size I wanted it I added this custom CSS code to my site:
    p {
    font-family:’Transport W00 Light’!important;
    color:#282828;
    font-size: 13px!important;
    }

You can see it here:
    http://jeff-singer.squarespace.com/blog/

There is an other element on my site “.image-desc” that comes into play when viewing a full image here:
    http://jeff-singer.squarespace.com/portfolios/one/

If you click on one of the thumbnails you’ll see the text in the lower left corner.

Apparently “.image-desc” is picking up it’s coloring from “p” and I can’t seem to override it with:
    .image-desc{
    text-transform:uppercase!important;
    font-size:11px!important;
    color:#ffffff!important;
    }

How can I keep these to elements separate? I want the main blog text to be one thing while I want the image description to be another.

Thanks!

Why should I avoid the “!important” tag… I was just going nuts trying to figure out why things weren’t being applied so I started getting a little crazy and adding it to everything not realizing it was bad.

On a similar note…

There is some text on my contact page, the bulleted data, that is not being effected by:
    p {
    color:#323232 ;
    font-size: 13px!important;
    }

The rest of the text on the page (and the main text on the blog) are doing what they’re supposed to do. I can’t seem to figure out what is effecting that text and where I can change it. Right now it is a different font.

The contact page is:
    http://jeff-singer.squarespace.com/contact/
    (once again, password: testing)

I am using the Dev Tools the best I can, but it’s still just trial and error changing things to see what happens at this point.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks again!

So, everything worked but the font size. It looks like it’s getting font size 12 from:
    .element.style {
    font-size: 12px;
    }

According to the dev tools in Chrome (the p, li {} has the font size crossed out) But if I do:
    .element.style {
    font-size: 13px;
    }

nothing happens.

I’ll take a look at that link and then get rid of the “!important”s.

Thanks!

I looked there and it looks to be (from the computed tab):
    font-size: 12px;
    element.style – 12px

As I mentioned above, I tried:
    .element.style {
    font-size: 13px;
    }

But that didn’t do anything. And what’s strange is when I go back to the computed table after saving the changes and reloading the page, it still says that the font is 12px.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.