Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Compass and Blueprint : change column number ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Canapin
    Participant

Hi!
    I’m using Compass for the first time.
    I changed the column number from 24 (default) to 12 in my base.scss, but it doesn’t work.
    A @include column(6) is still 1/4 of my container width, instead of beeing 1/2.

However, the .showgrid layer shows the correct number of columns (12), but my included columns (or span(6)) don’t. It seems that they still use the default parameters.

Any idea why?

Paulie_D

How have you defined column(6)?

Canapin
    Participant

In my base.scss :
    $blueprint-grid-columns: 12;

In my main scss :
    .article {
    @include column(6);
    }

Your avatar kind of reminds me Bill Plympton.

Paulie_D

Yes but what are the properties for column(6)?

Canapin
    Participant

My main scss contains only this.
    I’m not sure about what you’re asking :)
    I thought this import was simply making a block 6 columns width of the defined total number of columns.

What could I be forgetting in my stylesheet?

Paulie_D

I would assume that column(6) would have a width associated with it.

What properties does column(6) add to your CSS styles?

Canapin
    Participant

It only adds a width (a “wrong” one), and a margin left.
    Column(6) is supposedly (I don’t really understand how it works) calculated from my grid gonfiguration (base.scss) :

$blueprint-grid-columns: 24;
    $blueprint-container-size: 950px;
    $blueprint-grid-margin: 10px;

// Use this to calculate the width based on the total width.
    // Or you can set $blueprint-grid-width to a fixed value and unset $blueprint-container-size — it will be calculated for you.
    $blueprint-grid-width: ($blueprint-container-size + $blueprint-grid-margin) / $blueprint-grid-columns – $blueprint-grid-margin;

I could be wrong thought, because it doesn’t seem to work.
    I also could use a fixed width for my column width, but I’d like to know where is my mistake or my miserderstanding about blueprint and sass.

Paulie_D

Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with Blueprint so I may not be able to help much further.

You can’t include something that hasn’t been defined so somewhere there must be a definition of column(6).

Perhaps there is a grid.scss file?

Canapin
    Participant

I noticed that if I declare my variables in my main css file, it works well. It seems that base.scss is only used on the .showgrid layer (it’s kind of like a “visual” debug tool).

I’ll continue to figure out how all of this works… I read everywere that compass and sass are easy to undersand, but it seems it’s not. Or maybe I’m just dumb. :D

Thank you for your replies. :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.