Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Combined CSS…in a multi-user project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sunder
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I need a solution from any of you for following question.

Q: There is a website project which has 80 to 100 pages, now we have to convert it to responsive, but i want to distribute this to multiple people.. so that my works accomplish faster rather one person doing it… but my issue will be CSS, if multiple people is working on different pages, while combing the CSS, surely they will face the replica issue even whole UI might get colpase due to this… and one more would be CSS will become huge list and other would be browser compatibility when issues arise.

I would like to know is there any solution or guide how a multiple persons can work on one project with one CSS file at a time.

Looking forward for a positive reply. Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Sunder

Atelierbram
    Participant

Version control like Git comes to mind, and then host it online at Github, Bitbucket, what have you. Probably one person should be in control of merging (with the main branch). You could also set it up with @import rules for each team-member, in a global.css file:

@import "tm-jane.css";
    @import "tm-nancy.css";
    @import "tm-john.css";

This would still give duplication which you want to avoid, so maybe not the best solution.

Paulie_D

This would still give duplication which you want to avoid, so maybe not the best solution.

Not only that but it would give specificity issues too.

Atelierbram
    Participant

Not only that but it would give specificity issues too.

When one would put the @import rules in pecking order of the company’s hierarchy, then, maybe the specificity wars wouldn’t get quite so bloody, depending on the corporate culture ( could get worse too ). ;\

__
    Participant

git (or some other vcs) is definitely the way to go. Set up a main repo somewhere (e.g., github or one of your own servers).

Only one person should have permission to commit/merge to that repo.

All other users will clone the repo to do their work, then test their work, and send a pull request to the manager when they are done. The manager would be responsible for making sure tests pass and there is a minimum of duplication, then merge the new code into the main branch.

Each user is responsible for making sure they are working on the most current version. If the main repo is updated in the meantime, the user needs to merge the new main branch into their own code, and test, before submitting it.

Duplication and conflicts (and therefore, manager headaches) can be kept to a minimum by making each user responsible for specific code (e.g., a group of pages, or a particular class of UI elements) —that way, you don’t have several people “fixing” the same code at the same time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.