Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Coffeescript and rails popup only working on first object in array

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jtrinker
    Participant

I have a products page listing several different products. When a products main image is clicked i would like a popup/lightbox to display with another image of that product and additional information.

However, the click event is only working for the first product. Here’s my coffeescript:

$(document).ready ->
    i = $(“.main-image”).attr(“data-productid”)
    button = $(“#single_” + i)
    button.on “click”, ->
    $(“#product_popup”).show()

And my html/erb:

<% products.each do |product| %>
    <% if product.on_display? %>

• “classes”) %>” data-hook=”products_list_item” itemscope itemtype=”http://schema.org/Product&#8221;>
    <%= large_image(product, :itemprop => “image”, :class => “product-image”) %>

Thank you very much!

hotpink

One solution would be to iterate through each product, and create a button based on the product id.

Your code assigns a constant to the i variable

i = $(“.main-image”).attr(“data-productid”)
button = $(“#single_” + i)

This code will only create one button.

One way of iterating through each product would be to get all the .main-image class objects, then use the .each() function

i = $(“.main-image”)
i.each ->

It also looks like you will have multiple dom elements with the id of #product_popup

I made a codepen based on the code you posted.
It should be helpful, please ask questions.

http://codepen.io/jessecfisher/pen/DdiHn

jtrinker
Participant

Thank you for your help! How about this for the coffeescript:

jQuery ->
$(“.main-image”).each () ->
i = $(this).attr(“data-productid”)
$(“#single_” + i).on “click”, ->
$(“#product_popup”).show()

This at least gets all the products clickable, but when you click them it still only brings up the the image of the first product. Does that have something to do with the multiple dom elements with the id of #product_popup?

jtrinker
Participant

Ok, so I implemented your coffeescript:

$(document).ready ->
i = $(“.main-image”)
i.each ->
id = $(this).data(‘productid’)
button = $(“#single_” + id )
button.click ->
$(“#product_popup_” + id).fadeToggle()

And the html/erb:

• “classes”) %>” data-hook=”products_list_item” itemscope itemtype=”http://schema.org/Product&#8221;>
    “>
    <%= large_image(product, :itemprop => “image”, :class => “product-image”) %>

But its still only opening the popup for the first product. When you click the others nothing happens. I’m sure I’m just missing something. Thank you!

jtrinker
    Participant

I got it! I needed to remove the position fixed on each image. Thanks so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to make the codepen. You’ve taught me a lot.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.