Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other CodePen Like/Heart Counter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Does anyone know how this works? I’ve been looking all over the place for something similar to ZillaLikes but I no longer use WordPress. I can’t find the Javascript that it’s using either.

Would be pretty awesome if @chriscoyier put up the code on github.

Andy Howells
    Participant

I think they built it on Rails which I have absolutely no experience with (apart from installing Ruby gems for SASS/Compass once).

However, if you were to do it on PHP that would definitely be possible. For example, you could setup a button, when clicked it adds +1 to a field in a users account in the MySQL database.

Then you could use AJAX to complete the like request and update the database and then reload the new count.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Yah essentially that’s it. Unfortunately there isn’t some modular component that makes sense to open source. Each Pen and each User have data models. When a user clicks a heart, it sends a little Ajax call to the server which updates information in the database about how many hearts something has and who hearted it.

chrisburton
    Participant

Gotcha. Thanks guys. I think I’ll try to strip out ZillaLikes to fit Kirby.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.