The Lodge is members-only design/dev videos and Office Hours.

Next Office Hours Session: "Implementing an SVG Icon System" Nov 30 - 6:00 PM Eastern

Codepal-My First Step in the world of Web Designing

• # January 14, 2009 at 6:11 am

yea am doing research now… visiting many sites with great inspirational designs. I have also just converted one of the templates i designed into html. Please check that out too :) Its in my services section, or here is the link Smiley Site
    Now i will be starting on a new design hehe

# January 14, 2009 at 11:02 am

Also – here is good idea of how to value your work… or bill if you are working by the hour…

remeber that the average webdesigner charges about $55 an hour…

# January 14, 2009 at 12:12 pm

thx rob :) its a very useful site to give me an idea of how much to charge… but to charge, i need clients! :D
    The thing at which i am strong [comparatively to my other designing skills] is converting a psd to xhtml/css. I am kinda weak in designing because I never learned anything in designing. But am trying my best to create some good designs and then convert them perfectly into xhtml/css for my portfolio.. I am also working on setting up for theme forest and sell templates there so that I can start earning some cash to invest in my freelancing. But i still don’t have any idea where to get the clients from :|

# January 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

"12 PSD to HTML Tutorials" … tutorials/

# January 14, 2009 at 1:51 pm

hey thanks for the link doc.. Chris’s podcast were the best in teaching me! :D I will go through them though. I have improved a lot in converting psds to xhtml/css i think. The problem which I am facing is, how to get clients for psd to xhtml conversion. I am trying to design on my own and convert them into web pages to include in my portfolio. :|

# January 14, 2009 at 2:54 pm

yup this is where you need to get your SEO nice and lively, get yourself in forums, get themes up on theme selling websites…

here is another good resouce link … verything/

My friend used to sell themes on sitepoint – he was aproched by a large company asking him to make quick templates for parked domains – about 50 sites I think… lets just say he made alot of money on that…

You have to get out there in the area you want to focus in. Write a useful blog always get hits… that kinda thing

# January 14, 2009 at 3:10 pm

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

I think the PSD -> HTML market is shrinking, really.

Most of the people that are designing are now also learning to simply code it themselves. We have a few designers at work (I’ll include myself in that group), and we all know how to code. Granted, once we hit our HTML/CSS limit we hand it over to the developers… but we know how to design and code a functional website.

If I were you, I’d really start working on designing. Relying on other designers to give you work is tricky. You want clients that come to you for the whole package methinks.

# January 15, 2009 at 10:58 am

Thanks rob for the link. That site is really helpful to me. Even I am working on a template to sell it on theme forest. That sitepoint site needs me to subscribe to it for selling templates :| The thing is that I am a student, and i have this weird aim of earning from scratch! :? I don’t wanna take any financial help from my brother or my parents :oops: though they are always willing to help me out.. So lets see how my first self designed site [i.e. widout any tuts :P] comes out :| And obviously you guys are going to be the judge of that hehe

@TheDoc, yes I am working on my designing skills too.. I think i can merge my programming skills, which is my main strength, with my designing skills to create some very nice designs.. But I have to improve my designing skills first :D

# January 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm

I love your campaign, that your a friend to help, it makes me feel comfortable with you right off the bat. Good Job

# January 20, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Hey thanks lotusflower :) I always think that when we ask for help from friends, we are very much comfortable and relaxed knowing that the help would always come. There is always a guarantee that a true friend will help us in our time of need. Hence, I thought of this campaign to treat the client like a friend ;)

# January 20, 2009 at 5:51 pm

i get a little bug in your design, looks like you have to make the left value higher:

# January 20, 2009 at 7:50 pm

beware the oding! lol

# January 21, 2009 at 9:30 am

@ rob lol..
    @ Argeaux – thanks buddy..The left value was -999 only :P and i think your screen size is bigger than mine :P, thats y its showing there.. whats ur screen size? anyway, i will rectify it right now :)

# January 21, 2009 at 10:16 am

1680×1050 pixels

# January 21, 2009 at 11:59 am

yup i thought so.. :) mine is 1400 x 900. Anyway, i have fixed it, if possible, please check and confirm it. Thanks again!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed