Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End CMS – When to use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi to everyone!

Im a web-developer/designer and I’m having some doubts about when to use a CMS.

A client asked me to build a small company webpage, the design was made in photoshop, than I created the CSS and HTML from the photoshop file, and now comes what should I do next.

He wants a small news post, and a job post and for me I could see 3 solutions:

1. PHP+MYSQL () – create a page with a form for the client update news and jobs (title – date – content text) in a database;

2. PHP only – create a small external piece of code with

Quote:
    < li ><h1 >title </ h1> date <p > Content< /p> </ li >

and the client had only to edit that small file and i create a include of that file in the page.

3. CMS – And here comes the time where Im feeling quite lost.. Theres thousands of CMS’s over there, and all seems alot of work to configure if you have your own Page design. Is there any good and simple CMS that alows me to have my own design??

Also, another issue I came across, some CMS , from the client point of view, could be too complicated, just to add a simple news.

If someone as any opinion or idea about this , I will be much appreciated for your posts…
    Thank you…

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I can’t speak for all CMS’s but I can say WordPress lets me do whatever the heck I want lol…

example, this is my unfinshied custom template for a recent client…

http://jayelgibson.com/index.php/home/

Thats, I can style it as I like, add as much or as little dynamic content as I like… so on a so forth…

mdgrech

Its hard to complain about wordpress….going with the php mysql option will really help create an application built just for your needs but you will most likely spend a considerable amount of time building it, then again customizing wordpress to your liking can be incredibly time consuming as well. Think about the time you spend developing a new theme when if you used a custom php mysql solution it would be as simple as just adding a stylesheet.

ikthius
    "mdgrech" wrote:
    Its hard to complain about wordpress….going with the php mysql option will really help create an application built just for your needs but you will most likely spend a considerable amount of time building it, then again customizing wordpress to your liking can be incredibly time consuming as well. Think about the time you spend developing a new theme when if you used a custom php mysql solution it would be as simple as just adding a stylesheet.

Actually making a theme for wordpress is not that difficult.

once you know that you make your theme the way they suggest, i.e. wrapper, sidebar, main, footer header it could not be simpler.

the hardest part is finding out what classes and IDs wordpress uses, hence I make a few posts, replies, comments, sidebar widgets etc and thten look at the html that is spewed out and code for that.

the best thing about wordpress is, it is simple and you don’t have to give your client enough leeway to kill the site.

plus you can have a full static site with a dynamic part to it.

whatever my next project is, I will be starting with wordpress and coding around that.

Matt

I’ll be the odd man out and give my suggestion:

Make your own.

I use WordPress every so often, I’ve even used Joomla! once or twice (eww), but I’ve found nothing more efficient than a self-coded CMS with a customized interface for the client. I, myself, consider it a premium service for my clients, but I’ve not had yet a client that had an issue with it yet. Simple, intuitive, not heavily loaded with useless features, but still having every feature needed to do the job easily.

chris

I use Word Press to design the themes. Watch the previous screen cast series if you having trouble designing for Word Press. I have had some minor issues designing for Word Press, but mainly due to my shallow experience w/ CSS (I’m Still Learning). That Cushy CMS tool looks awesome. Thank you for sharing that.

luk

=), WordPress seems to be very often used…can’t say anything about it because I never used it, I’m a big fan of ModX CMS http://modxcms.com/ (no, I’m not a devloper or some kind of related to them^^), just have a look, read the short documentation and see how damn powerful this thing is…and it’s even getting better with the v2.0 release this year. ModX let’s you easily convert photoshop designs to a cms-website using just ModX specific tags like [*pagetitle*] or [*content*] into your existing design, it’s crazy simple and I was stunned the first time I used it…(worked with Typo3 for some time…)…

but It’s still a CMS for medium or large websites with a lot and often changing content, news, posts or whatever…so if you just have to change irregularly some "news" or articles or just the main content of your site I can recommend the jQuery editease CMS, it’s much simpler and you can have a kind of CMS without php or mysql, you can just login and edit your site’s content, in a RichTextEditor like TinyMCE (or how this thing is called =D) if you want or really direct into the page, writing pure html (I prefer this way but people are different)…for editing you just copy a folder into your sites root, have maybe a look on the demo’s source and add a – class="e-ease" (for direct html editing) or class="e-ease ee:wwig" (for editing with RTE) to the div containers with content you want to change…couldn’t be easier…it’s perfect for many sites which don’t change content daily and where the client should be able to change some smaller content things himself…

editease Demo Page: http://editease.jquerystuff.net/ Login: demo PW: access –> look for the Admin link bottom right
    editease Download & (little, there is no more =/) Info: http://code.google.com/p/editease/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.