Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Client Satisfied, We Aren’t

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    dhechler

I am working on a site and the client loves his OLD logo, whereas it does not fit into the new site design that we did for him (which he also likes). What would you do in this situation?

Heres the site so you can see how badly it sticks out.
    http://dev.wovenland.com/totalpaving/

TT_Mark

Did he ask you to redesign the logo?

Why have you not designed a site that fits in with his old logo? Surely its your responsibility as a designer to come up with something that fits with his company’s image?

TheDoc

Pretty much exactly what TT_Mark said.

Unless you also offer to design a new logo for him, you’re pretty much stuck with that.

dhechler

Guess I should have clarified. We designed the new site before he gave us this logo. We sent a client survey to him and he specified color and layout. We then designed the site from that and designed a logo for it. He then sent the old logo over and would not let us use anything but that.
    We did not want to offer to redesign the site because
    1. He loved this design (minus the logo) and
    2. We don’t want to have to charge him for a new design as he is a recurring client.

sliver37

It’s not all that bad, I wouldn’t worry too much about it, as long as the client is happy.

I’m in sort of a similar situation, except only at the mock-up stage, the client wants it to match his “new brochure” that he got sent to him a couple of days ago, which definitely wasn’t made by someone with a design background.

PeretzM

One simple solution in this case might be to add a white gradient behind the logo so it blends better…

TT_Mark

Hmm…kind of difficult, part if me thinks he should have given you the logo, the other part of me thinks that asking for the logo should be on whatever questions you ask the client to complete.

In any case, it doesn’t look that bad

TheDoc

Mark, I’d lean towards the latter part of that. I don’t start any project without being fully aware of any branding the client already has. Not just because I need it to start my work, but also because I can make more money out of it by offering to either redesign or refine their existing collateral into something better.

dhechler

I definitely agree with both of you. We do have a section in our contract called “existing design” and covers all design they like about their existing site, or anything they would like redone for them. This client decided to put “nothing” in the fields. Ha.

Luminated

We won’t even get started on a design unless we receive a logo first from a client and this is a great example of why. In this case, if the client gave us the logo you received, we might even deny the project if they weren’t open to a logo redesign/revamp.

A great design needs a foundation and a logo is certainly that when it comes to most websites.

sujiths777

I will give you an easy solution, a simple redesign.

Just increase your header height. then put that logo in a box with rounded corner, color in range #999-#666(you may choose a better one while you design) and add a good transparency. Then it will look good. Also you may add a grey border of 1px to that box.

Also,your site design is good. I like it. So i dont say to change the whole site just to match that dull logo.

Sujith

sujiths777

Please inform and show your work if you are planning to do as i have said. I will help you to make it better.

ujgreg

I come across poor branding issues like this all the time normally after a sale has been made for the website. Sometimes it would be easier to recommend re-working a logo into the budget but that’s not always easy to do considering they may already have hundreds or thousands spent into advertising with the current logo. It is clear that this logo isn’t the best and yes it would have been easier to have it from the start. I often get a clip art image with text dropped on top of it in low resolution and am expected to do great things with it. On a recent project the logo was so bad the designer put it in the footer (I really don’t know why). On another project, we were sent a 11×17 corrugated plastic sign with a terrible “logo” which I took a photo of, vectored it and gave it a shiny look which they approved. I tweaked it to where it was identified as the same logo with a face lift. Again, this isn’t always an option.

One thing to note is the average person will go to Kinko’s and competitors to get business cards or brochures. They are provided with a clip art book to choose a “logo” from. This clip art image usually stays for the life of the company, on the side of their truck, in their office window, on their business cards, their brochures etc. It is now our job to do magical things to put it on their website.

Go to FedEx Office or OfficeMax and ask for the logo book: Clip Art Explosion

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.