Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other client area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cybershot
    Participant

Do you have a client area on your website where they can login? What is the best way to do this? Any opinions or known tutorials?

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I asked this not too long ago. I’d still like to see some suggestions

rickylamerz

We @ reedeesign.com are working on a client area. We’ll do one of these things:

#1:
    We give the client a unique ID and Password. Somesthing like. ID: cocacola Password: 19ak93ka and provide them with a log in on the site. When they log in, they will be redirected to their current version of the site. Because during development it’s allmost always hosted on a live server somewhere to show it to the client.

#2:
    We also give the client an ID and a Password like above. But we reference them to a page on our server that displays multiple things. For example. A link to their current site in development. Hosting information. Acces to their email accounts (if that is a part of their service). An overview of their invoices. Etc.

The 2nd option will give much more information. But it is more work. I can probably make both within 3 hours or so. So I guess Ill go with #2.

This is just a suggestion for you guys. Maybe you have other needs, but this is what I imagine when making a client login.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

My question is and I think cybershot’s as well, how do you create the whole login itself?

TT_Mark

I think Jeffrey Way on NetTuts probably has one of the best tutorials on this PHP Login System

That’s the free one, however there is a more functional paid tutorial that you can get.

Personally my company don’t have a section on our site where clients can login, they can access all the information they need on their own site through the CMS we have built for them.

rickylamerz

I could explain it, but I’m not sure if I would teach you best practices. It works for me, because I’m making relatively low-risk websites.

But then again, it could probably be done better. But hey, what can’t.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.