Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Client amendments

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jshjohnson

What do people generally offer clients in terms of amendments and revisions? I have had a few client issues recently because either the client is asking for too much of my time to make amendments or I do not offer enough amendments etc.

What is a reasonable amount?

chrisburton
    Participant

You charge them your normal rate. It’s that simple.

chrisburton
    Participant

Well, what does your contract state?

croydon86
    Participant

Do you mean during a project, or after a project?

chrisburton
    Participant

There’s a separate thread somewhere where I posted a link to a source for contracts.

http://docracy.com

If you don’t have a contract, either get the client to sign one or establish some sort of written agreement. If they refuse, stop working with them.

chrisburton
    Participant

Also, a contract isn’t only about what you offer. It’s about protecting you AND the client if either party refuses to live up to the deal. Keep that in mind.

kgscott284
    Participant

Red flag. Never do work without a contract. You need to learn more about them prior to doing anymore work or your clients will keep disputing payments and screwing you over because you are basically inviting them to. Get your butt covered man, go get yourself a contract written up.

__
    Participant

+1 **always have a good, detailed spec**. My Agreements are two-part – the Terms, and the Spec. The Spec is almost always 3-4 times longer.

My Terms usually include this regarding amendments:

> Any work requested which is not specified in the Agreement is a “Change Request,” and may be added to the Agreement, and amend the project cost and/or schedule, upon the approval of both the Client and Developer.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

> There’s a separate thread somewhere where I posted a link to a source for contracts.

Had some bookmarkered :) [Here](https://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/23623/do-i-need-a-contract-to-sell-my-web-design-services) and [here](https://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/16890/useful-docs-legal-documents-and-contracts-for-designers)

@traq
    , I’m interested in learning more about “the spec”, if you want to elaborate please do.

Jonathand_d

you really, really need to have a contract for the client’s benefit. Its really not good news not having a clear and agreed contract between you and the client.

__
    Participant

> I’m interested in learning more about “the spec”, if you want to elaborate please do.
    @Crocodillon

Well, “the spec” is the part that describes the goals and requirements of the project. I try to keep it in simple, understandable terms; things the client can see from the “front” of the website. I incorporate everything we discuss in our initial “creative” phase, as well as anything I need or feel might need clarification.

For example, define what users should be able to do:

> *Registered Users will be able to upload photos, write descriptions / sales lines, and provide details about items they wish to sell.*

Expound on what that involves, creating a functional objective:

> *A multi-step form for signed-in users to enter information about items they would like to sell, including image uploading and cropping.

Ad fields:
    … category, description, designer, vintage, receipt/ proof of purchase, item condition
    … image uploads (3)
    … item size/ measurements (you will need to provide details as to what info you want included)*

Basically, it’s an outline (like you might write in English class) of the project “deliverables.” It doesn’t need to be complicated or describe implementation details, but it does need to be clear and easy to read (and, above all, not conflict with itself). Where something might be open to interpretation, make sure you explain it – this is especially important where you have discussed several options for a particular item, but decided not to include all of them.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

Thanks for the explaination @traq!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.