Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Cleaning up after previous developers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    NYDev

Perhaps it is in bad taste, but I believe this forum needs a place where we can, under the cover of anonymity, lodge complaints against the terrible terrible work of people who proceeded us at our jobs. You may call me snarky, but I feel a desperate need to vent to like-minded people about the atrocities I wrestle with on a daily basis.

In my new job, the previous front-end developer had some misconceptions about css. Among them, he thinks that if you float one thing on a page, you have to float EVERYTHING on a page. Otherwise, “How will they know the other float is there?” Not only that, but he had a nasty tendency to add that float as an inline style. On virtually every block level element on the page.

As the new guy, I have limited permission to make changes to our live application. So I will be stuck trying to convince this guy that when you float everything, you have consequences like rampant IE6 duplicate content bugs (which we need to fix because of the backward industry we service), which I have spent the whole morning isolating, but won’t be allowed to fix without getting the go-ahead from him.

I have plenty more where that came from. Anybody else?

NYDev

Yes, “legacy code” — it makes it sound like something to be cherished.

I have to strike a balance between speaking my mind and being diplomatic. I’m in the junior position, so not many people here are willing to learn, at least not from me. I have to say “I fixed the bug” and then they get to say, “aw you poor silly noob, don’t you know you can’t put margins on a paragraph tag? That’s what we have spacer divs for!”

TheDoc

The company that I work for still does a lot of maintenance on our older clients’ sites. It’s really bad when I have to do a quick update and I have to hunt through endless tables to find what I’m supposed to edit.

NYDev

I know, that sinking feeling you get when you realize that small change is actually going to take half your day.

OK, I’ve got another one for you: We were adding a sticky footer to our generic page template. The previous developer had already “finished” it, but there were bugs. I went in and saw that both height and min-height were set to 100%. I got rid of the height declaration, and suddenly the footer was back where it’s supposed to be.
    Old developer: “What have you done? Min-height overrides height!” He adds it back, and the footer is back in the middle of the page.
    Me: “Um, no, that’s not exactly how min-height works…”
    Him: “Yes it is!”
    Me: “No… OK, whatever you say.”
    Him: [adds float:everything;] “Ah, there we go.”

Rob MacKay
    Participant

haha I hate digging through someone else’s code – thankfully though when it has been done I have not had the annoyance of the old dev coming back :)

Luminated

NYDev…just send him this link:

http://www.w3.org/

:)

Luminated

On that note though…I do find it interesting that there’s no “right” way to build a site, at least not a widely accepted one. You can use CSS in a near infinite variety to get the same results…but I feel if the code is TRULY understood, then there’s only one way to build a site…the right way. ;)

NYDev

Well, there are usually many solutions to any given problem, each with advantages and disadvantages. There’s no one right way, but there are many wrong ways. And then there are things that are just blatant misuses or misunderstandings of the standards. I’m more complaining about that than just somebody wanting to do things differently than I do.

As far as the w3c goes, I don’t think it’s that they don’t know it’s there, so much as that they’re too lazy to read the spec. No amount of pointing it out will convince them they have something to learn when they think they’re experts. Not that I’m done learning either, but at least I try.

virtual
    Participant

In web development you have to keep on your toes, there are new developments all the time. You can’t just sit back and continue with what you learned years ago. That’s how the world goes by and leaves you behind and out of a job several years down the road.

Luminated

I know NYDev, I was just being sarcastic. :) I couldn’t agree more. This field is the definition of ‘easy to learn, but never mastered.’ If you think you know what the deal is, you most likely don’t. Keep learning and let the rest fall behind.

Good post!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.