Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Classes on header, section, article, footer ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rugg
    Participant

Hello,

I came across the following article which suggests the _header, section, article, footer_ tags in html5 should not be used for styling content… therefore classes/ ids should not be used to target css. The article is dated 2011, so Im curious if the suggested practice has changed at all. I continue to see other sites using classes and ids on the mentioned tags.

If anyone as any ideas or can suggest an updated article stating otherwise… I would much appreciate it. Thank you.

Article: http://html5doctor.com/avoiding-common-html5-mistakes/

unasAquila
    Participant

I would agree they are not for styling content in that they are implemented for making a more semantic markup and should first and foremost be used in this way.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

You don’t style div, span, h1, and p tags directly. Thus, you shouldn’t style header, article, section and footer directly.

unasAquila
    Participant

The article is talking about “style” as in the markup not styling ie

Generic header

Something else generic

is more semantic than say

Generic header

Something else generic

but that is not to say that the second is wrong

or as to the

If this this the wrapper for this section then there is no problem using a class for styling as long as the section is being used correctly.

The issue is people doing this

Blog header

some blog stuff…

when all they need is

Blog header

some blog stuff…

unasAquila
    Participant

off course, it only when people over extend there use to layout there site that it becomes “styling elements” rather that “structural elements” as they were intended

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.