Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Chromebook AcerC7 | SCSS | No Developer Mode

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    horrigan97
    Participant

Okay, so here’s my problem… I have a chromebook and it works great for coding; java, css, html, etc. I use a text editor app from the chrome store to edit things. However, I would like to start using scss, without paying, without switching my computer to whats called development mode(for many reasons, its unstable, has many security risks, and I dont know enough about how to use it….), and although their is stuff like sassmesiter, I would like to be able to work offline.
    Suggestions?

__
    Participant

Suggestions?

unlock your chromebook and install a real OS. Ubuntu or Mint are good “starter” choices.

It’s decent hardware, but the software is not suitable for much beyond casual (read: browsing + email) use.

horrigan97
    Participant

Do you know how well having two systems works? and is it vulnerable to security issues? do you prefer ubuntu or mint?

__
    Participant

Do you know how well having two systems works?

Works fine. I haven’t done it on a chromebook myself, but it’s nothing special. Google it. In fact, I just found an article about installing ubuntu on top of chrome OS —that is, using the same kernel; which is entirely possible since chrome OS is a version of linux anyway— that looks pretty interesting. But you could also do a plain ol’ dual-boot setup, or replace chrome OS completely. None of these things are difficult to do.

No matter what you choose, make sure everything is backed up before you start.

and is it vulnerable to security issues?

…no more so than normal? Quite a bit less than Windows. Probably safer (broadly speaking) than OSX. Who knows? being designed for “everyday users” and shipping as the default OS for a mainstream device, chrome OS (or Android) may well have some vulnerability that a more “nerdy” Linux flavor doesn’t.

Is there something specific that you’re worried about?

do you prefer ubuntu or mint?

I use Mint, but they’re basically the same “under the hood.” From a UI perspective, Mint looks more like a traditional, windows-ish PC desktop, while Ubuntu has a look somewhere between OSX and Android… kinda… if you enjoy learning a “new look,” try Ubuntu. It probably has more community support as well.

__
    Participant

posting problems.

@horrigan97
    – short answers to your questions:

• yes, works just fine
    • no, not really
    • either (but Ubuntu might be a bit easier).

@ Mods – if double-posts show up, I’m very sorry.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.