Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Choose JS framework for learning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kuzyo
    Participant

Hi guys
    Learn JS framework as a way for better understanding JS language. Is it possible? I feel that I know JS for some level and now want to deepen my knowledge. What JS framework you can recommend from your experience. I started to watch some tutorials about AngularJS. What do you think about Angular?

Thanks.

Senff
    Participant

Learning a framework will always teach you more, as long as you get the basics of JavaScript down first. Not just understand it, but know it well before you move on to frameworks.

I’ve looked into AngularJS and it’s good, but it serves a specific purpose (in my view, to handle/read/display data on a single-page application) so you gotta have some idea about what you want to do with it. However, with AngularJS you add all kinds of specific tags/elements to your HTML page, that won’t necessarily help you understand JavaScript more, unless you dig deep into it why things happen the way they do.

nixnerd
    Participant

I would look into Node.js. I think a lot of exciting things are happening with it right now. It’s not a framework PER SE… it’s more of a new way to think about Javascript. It in-turn has its own frameworks like Express. I would tend to agree with @Senff that you need to know JS really well first. However, if you do know JS really well, it adds another level of a language you know and love to the dev stack. That is very valuable in terms of the fun you have coding AND dev speed.

Also, it’s very fast and handles asynchronous design VERY well. That’s why people love it so much.

Kuzyo
    Participant

First thing why I started think about JS Framework, that after learning basic of JS and don’t have a lot of real practice, every framework tutorial create simple app where they use objects, prototyping etc. All it help you to see how to use this things in practice.

Senff
    Participant

Right — but when you use a framework tutorial, it will teach you the ins and outs about the framework, and not necessarily JavaScript‘s basics.

It’s like driving;let’s say you just learned how to drive. The best way to get good at it, is to actually drive around for hours and hours. But if you would skip right ahead to learning how to drive a Formula 1 racecar, you may become an F1 expert, but also miss out on some basics of “regular” driving.

If that makes sense ;)

The one thing I’ve learned from coding is that there are no shortcuts. To learn something well, you have to practice, practice, practice, and also practice. Skipping ahead, crash courses, fast tutorials….they will teach you things but never as much as just coding as much as you can.

Kuzyo
    Participant

Thanks, yes it makes sense, but I don’t looking for shortcut, simply want to learn another one way how you can use JS. Thanks for reply

__
    Participant

This is nothing new and there are lots of libraries out there that do this better than whatever I wrote, but that’s not the point. Just the act of creating it myself taught me a lot …

this.

nixnerd
    Participant

I didn’t know that I didn’t know.

this too.

Sometimes you THINK you know, but you have no idea.

Kuzyo
    Participant

I agree too, but my point as an almost noob in JS is to find different ways to learn JS and most important to understand what JS can do, before creating something by himself.

__
    Participant

I agree too, but my point as an almost noob in JS is to find different ways to learn JS and most important to understand what JS can do, before creating something by himself.

You keep saying this… I don’t think you understand what everyone is trying to explain. Learning how to use javascript libraries, without first having a firm grasp of plain javascript, will not help you achieve this goal.

If you want to learn how to use libraries, go for it. It’ll help you “get stuff done” in the short term.

But, if you’re serious about the “learn” and “understand” and “possibilities” of javascript, you’re still going to have to study regular, plain, not-framework javascript: and focusing on a framework first will not help you get to this point any faster.

nixnerd
    Participant

There are some times when jQuery is awesome… but whenever I use it… I feel slightly dirty because it comes with a certain level of overhead. It’s not as fast and not as clean as plain ol Javascript. However, plain ol Javascript is more verbose… most of the time.

What have you done to learn JS? Have you read a book or taken an online course? If not, I suggest you start there with JUST JS. Then, you can move on to other stuff. Learning vanilla JS will very much be an advantage to you in the future.

Kuzyo
    Participant

Thanks guys for your replies. I appreciate this.

I can’t properly explain, because my poor English.

What have you done to learn JS? Have you read a book or taken an online course?

I have read Douglas Crockford JavaScript: The Good Parts, N.Zakas ‘Professional JavaScript for Web Developers’, several books about jQuery, go through codeschool and now I can write simple game (snake, sokoban) in JS(jQuery). But a lot of stuff now develops through using frameworks (because everything should be fast) and I thought which framework to choose and how it all help me to understand how to work with different parts of JS (arrays, objects, callback functions) .

JS is my first step in programming and it really cool :)

@JacobPeters
    thanks for link!

Kuzyo
    Participant

Thanks @JacobPeters.

On the project where I work, everyone use jQuery, as a result it was first that come in hand.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.