Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Charging for content upload during design process

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rayanzenner
    Participant

hey everybody,

I am currently working on my first paid web design project and I am not sure about the correct procedure for charging the client when it comes to uploading their own unique content. Basically, we came to an agreement on price for web design, which I believed was for design only. I am also uploading a lot of their images, product codes etc which requires a lot of cropping in Photoshop, and going back and forth between files etc…

Should I charge them extra for this work during the design process, or is it correct that this would be included in the overall cost.

To be honest, I got the job by offering my services to a friend and never really laid out terms of contract…

Any help would be great

Thanks

chrisburton
    Participant

You could try to negotiate with the client but, with all due respect, this is essentially your fault. Unless you both agreed to these terms they are not binding which means they are not required or liable to pay.

In fact, this could potentially hurt you if they feel cheated that you didn’t disclose this in the beginning.

But hey, we’ve all been here. This is where you learn from your mistakes. It’s a perfect example as to why contracts are essential.

Alen
    Participant

Why don’t you talk with your client/friend. Iron out your concerns with them, and get the detailed scope of the project… on paper, signed.

Tell them this is the only way you will proceed.

Basically, we came to an agreement on price for web design, which I believed was for design only.

“which I believe”… you either know or you don’t. If this is not clear from the start, do not proceed!!!

uploading their own unique content

You should be designing from the start with their own unique content or content representative of what eventually will end up there.

I know you’re just starting and probably going guns blazing into this situation without taking some very important steps to ensure you provide best service possible. Think about your reputation going forward. You want this “friend” badmouthing you for terrible service you provided.

As a service provider, you are the professional, you need to manage the expectations and set boundaries. Clients for the most part have no clue about design or the design process. They heard “web design” and most likely decided to put EVERYTHING under that umbrella. This is why it’s important to KNOW exactly what you’re providing and what the client is receiving. If not you WILL LOSE MONEY.

Time === Money

Sorry I rambled on. Anyways… it’s really simple. Just talk to them. Be human.

rayanzenner
    Participant

Thanks guys for all the feedback, it helped!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.