Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Centering vertically

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    XaviJr
    Participant

I have a slider on my homepage and I want this slider to have full width but fixed height.

So my slider have width:100% (so as the images) and overflow:hidden and my question is: how can I center vertically the images?

Thanks in advance.

WJvanTilburg

Several ways you can accomplish this.

In this jsfiddle example, i used the position: absolute, with a top: 50% and a margin-top that has a negative -(height / 2)px

On this site (http://blog.themeforest.net/tutorials/vertical-centering-with-css/) is an interesting article about it using several methods.

I hope it is any help for your solution

~ Wouter

stevedeer

WJ… can I jump in here as I’m learning css. On your fiddle you write in the css… “div#container”, why have not just written “#container” and applied that to the div, or does it do something else when written that way?

thanks in advance

steve

WJvanTilburg

No problem stevedeer,

If you write div#container, the style will only apply to the id container that belongs to a div. So let’s say you use

the style wont be applied, because we wrote div#container and therefor made it a div only style.

It’s not at all required to do it this way, it’s just a habit now and i find it easier ;)

~ Wouter

XaviJr
    Participant

Thank you, this is a great resource. I’m still looking for the best way but I think this is all I need.

Mottie

Have you read this article?

XaviJr
    Participant

My problem is a little different because the image I want to center vertically I bigger in height than the container.

Here’s the example: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/exampleqf.jpg/

So the blue area is the slider and the green is my images that can have the same or bigger height than the slider. What I want is not showing the top part of the image but the middle.

But I will try that way too, Mottie. I already had read that article but didn’t remembered. Thank you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.