Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Centering a wide site in smaller browser window

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    blacksheep

Be gentle, its my first post…

Does anyone have any suggestions for a work around to center a wide site horizontally in in a smaller browser window?

I have built the first page of my new site, but as part of the background (transparent png) to the site centers within an auto-centered page-wrap, the site appears to the browser to be much wider than the content. This wide page-wrap div has the effect of making the site content shunt to the right and produce a scroll bar on smaller browser windows, which is rubbish for usability. I need a work around.

The ideal would be to find the center of the users browser window using javascript, then position the content central on the horizontal scroll bar (i.e move the h scroll bar to the centre). Anyone know how to do this? I can’t find anything on the web after a lot of searching. The only alternative I can see is to make the site page-wrap background holder div appear smaller in width to the browser or comprise the fun 2 part background I am currently using (tile) and centered, semi-transparent page-wrap background.

(I know this is a big fat wide site and I am making life hard for myself)

Any solutions or tips really useful. Thanks.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.