Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Centering a nav element in a div.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tomia

Hi, i’m a novice at this :) .i’m having difficulty trying to center a nav inside a div i’ve named ‘menu’. I’ve tried to find the problem in the details and nothing is helping. Seeing that the problem might also reside elsewhere within the page i’m creating, i will post all of the html (hope i’m not pushing it), plus the CSS. i appreciate the help. Thank you.

html:

wolfcry911
    Participant

Can you post the code on Codepen?

David_Leitch
    Participant

Just having a look at that, I think your problem might be related to using float: left on nav ul. nav ul is the container of all of the nav links, so floating that to left with take the whole menu to the left.

I would try display: block; margin: 0 auto; on the nav ul element. From what I can see, that would centre the nav.

This wouldn’t be what you’re trying to achieve by chance?

http://codepen.io/AaronCDR/pen/KbJyG

If you haven’t defined a width on the menu, setting it to `display: table;` with `margin: 0 auto;` should centre it within the parent element.

Edit – just noticed you have defined a width, in which case @David_Leitch is correct with `display: block;`.

Tomia

Thank you all for the precious feedback. David, the display:block property causes the submenu to appear over the menu, ie. it overlaps the nav, but removing the float did center the nav as i intended it to. Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.