Skip to main content

Forums

This topic contains 21 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jknetdesign 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

jknetdesign
    Participant

Full mobile responsiveness is not necessary, but how can I get this to display centered horizontally on iPad and iPhone?

Yes I’ve tried inspector myself before posting this question.

http://extraordinarygolf.com/

shaneisme
    Participant

I think if you just remove this line:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=auto">

Modern devices will assume it should be zoomed out and I know Safari will center it when that happens. Of course it’s basically unusable…

So if “full mobile responsiveness” isn’t necessary, why do you care what it looks like on an iPad and iPhone?

jknetdesign
    Participant

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Now the site fits within iPhone portrait, but is not centered on landscape or iPad. It’s aligned left.

Because the client is pointing out a space on the right and just wants it centered.

shaneisme
    Participant

You might be able to find a JS solution for this, but it’s a bad idea and non-starter.

Sorry I don’t have anything else to help with, but I’m in the camp that if the client doesn’t want to pay for a modern website these things will happen.

Shikkediel
    Participant

This will center on screen on page load and resize whenever it is smaller than the content :

http://tinyurl.com/center-on-small-screen-pen

You could change the width (and maybe leave out the resizing).

jknetdesign
    Participant

I placed jQuery in the header and it’s still aligned left. Am I doing something wrong here?

shaneisme
    Participant

Yes, you’re calling for jQuery before it’s loaded. It needs to go after.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Added a tweak – apparently there’s no need to use ‘html, body’ for a horizontal scroll as all browsers seem to respond to ‘document’ as well.

jknetdesign
    Participant

Unfortunately no improvement. It just added a white space below the footer.

Shikkediel
    Participant

I now see it’s also a rather old version of the library – 1.5.
    The .on method won’t work with that (needs at least 1.7)…

jknetdesign
    Participant

Should I install jQuery 1.7 ?

jknetdesign
    Participant

Also, do you know where the white strip in the footer is coming from?

__
    Participant

Should I install jQuery 1.7 ?

No. The current release of jQuery is 2.1.3 (or 1.11.2, if you still support IE8-).

Shikkediel
    Participant

I agree, best to go with the latest version.
    Not too many methods since 1.5 have been deprecated altogether :

http://api.jquery.com/category/deprecated/

Can’t say I see a white stripe anywhere.

paulob
    Participant

Hi,

The problem is caused by your dropdown navigation which for the ‘about’ menu items sticks out of the layout to the right by a hundred pixels or so.

As you do not have a responsive site or a meta tag to control the site the device will work out the width of the site that it needs to display in its viewport and this will include all parts that overflow such as your dropdown menu. The space you see at the right is the room for the dropdown menu to fit into the screen.

If you make sure that nothing sticks outside of your 1000px layout then the page will get zoomed to fit on the smaller device.

You could do this by setting that last menu item to display at right:0 so that it doesn’t go outside your layout.

e.g.

.dropdown ul {
    position:absolute;
    display:none;
    right:0!important;
    left:auto!important;
    }

You would also need to add a special class to that ‘about’ item and merge it into the code above (and to avoid using !important as I did just find the right specificity).

Also I notice you are using the ie7 meta tag which will make all good versions of IE (including ie11) render like the worst version of IE. Unless you have a very good reason for doing this then you should be using the ‘edge’ meta tag value and not the ’emulate ie7′ value.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

icon-link icon-logo-star icon-search icon-star