Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Care to give me some tips on how I could improve this code?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mottie

Oh and I also wanted to add a comment to @jamy_za’s suggestion in that the following isn’t good practice:

// Insert an unordered list after the styled div
    styledSelect.after('
      ');

I would use this format in a plugin just in case the user is using older versions of jQuery. The ability to include an object with parameters wasn’t added until jQuery 1.4, and some people are still stuck using older versions.

TheDoc

@Mottie I’m still learning when it comes to the wonderful world of jQuery, but isn’t using a for loop the better way to go? I’ve done some performance research and each() seems like a naughty tool.

@Mottie Fantastic advice, thank you for taking the time to help out! I have updated jsFiddle: http://jsfiddle.net/joshnh/eZzv7/

Mottie

@TheDoc It would be if there were a lot of items to iterate through or if the each is called many times, say like on mouse move or window scroll. See this jspref example.

But in this case, there are only two styledSelect divs; but even with 20 or 50, you probably won’t notice any performance issues.

Mottie

Oh, also instead of using

$list.filter(':not(:animated)').slideUp(250);

to check for animation, you could just stop any ongoing animation, but include the clear que and jump to end flags (ref):

$list.stop(true,true).slideUp(250);

Updated demo.

This works better for slower animation or rapid clickers. The dropdowns will now close instead of remaining open.

Thanks Rob, I’m not a fan of the way it handles clicks while the animation is running though. I agree that it would work well for slower animations. With the speed I am running the animation at there is no way a ‘rapid clicker’ could know what he wanted to click on before the animation was complete.

Thanks for raising the performance issue too Gray, if I was to ever release this as a plugin, I would use a for loop.

jamygolden

Oh and once more thing:

$('div.styledSelect').eq(i).removeClass('active')

Is the div in div.styleSelect necessary? Each thing you add there slows down the selecting process. So it would be faster to go $(‘.styleSelect’)

I was simply [over]qualifying the selector, thanks for the tip Jamy!

Mottie

Actually @jamy_za, leave the “div” because it is faster. Also see tip #1.

Thanks for the clarification Rob!

@Mottie I have been doing some testing/research and I have found that when simply using a class selector, over-qualifying it is slower: http://jsperf.com/over-qualified-jquery-selectors

TheDoc

Thanks, @Mottie!

Mottie

@joshuanhibbert Hmm, that test does add an additional function, changing the background color, so I’m just not sure.

And now that I think about it, the recommendations from tip #1 above, shows how to optimize use of the sizzle engine which only activates when you use multiple selectors… so yeah, it’s not relevant in this case.

So at this point, I removed the background color from the jsperf and the class name only was faster, then I copied this post into the HTML to see if it’s faster with returning just one element and well the class name only was still faster… so yeah @jamy_za and you were right!

I hereby retract my last statement ;)… you learn something new everyday :P

@Mottie You certainly do, and you have taught me quite a few things in this thread alone!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
    • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.