Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] Can't find media query culprit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    aicos
    Participant

http://goo.gl/BP5vzr

I’m working on making this bootstrap site unresponsive (long story), and I’ve managed to a large extent. With the exception of some elements in the header that seem to jump to the right when reducing the screen size.

I’m usually very good at tracing these kinds of problems, but in this situation, I can’t for the life of me figure out what media queries are influencing “the jump”, or even what CSS properties are causing it.

I’ve even tried disabling javascript, but it has no affect.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

Paulie_D

The site structure is a little odd.

You seem to be aiming for a two column look but the site isn’t set up that way.

You say that you are trying to make the site unresponsive? If so, why are you worrying about what happens when the screen size is reduced.

I’m confused.

aicos
    Participant

Well, did you see what happens when the screen is made smaller? It kind of breaks header. I can’t just leave it that way. And it would have required more time from me to make the site look good on smaller screens. So this is what I agreed to do for the client. And if he wanted a responsive design later on, well I’m already partly there because its built with boot strap.

Yes, I admit it’s weird setup. I was working from some WordPress bootstrap framework theme and with regard to re-arranging the header.. it was just eating too much time so I decided I would re-do it later. If that’s whats causing the problem, then I’ll come back to it. But I don’t really want to touch it unless I know for certain.

Paulie_D

Well, did you see what happens when the screen is made smaller? It kind of breaks header.

Yes, it does…but you specifically stated that you wanted the site to be unresponsive.

You’re gonna have to commit one way or the other.

At the very least you need to set the width of the “header” so that it’s not 100% of the container.

Offhand it needs to be the same width as the column div that’s “underneath” it.

<div class="col-md-8 dmbs-main pull-left">

…but as I said, unless you make some fundamental restructuring it’s hard to be more helpful.

aicos
    Participant

Yes, what I mean’t was the site needs to be completely unresponsive. This is what the client agreed to. So I’ve just been adding additional CSS in one section of the style sheet that overrides widths on the needed elements. And then in the future, when he decides he wants it responsive, I can easily remove them and put down some additional time to get it working correctly.

I had another look at it today and I was able to make more headway. I think I can just continue on my own now.

Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.