Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Can’t Figure Out Why My Layout Breaks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    k_mcminn

Hello, everyone!

I’m having a difficult time trying to figure out why my layout is breaking when I adjust a few CSS classes. Specifically, in this page:
    http://goo.gl/AJjpR

If I adjust:
    #content, .main_width {
    width: 975px;
    }

to:
    #content, .main_width {
    width: 990px;
    }

…that works just fine.

If I adjust this:
    .ipsLayout_content {
    float: left;
    width: 100%;
    }

to:
    .ipsLayout_content {
    float: left;
    width: 685px;
    }

…it breaks

If I make those changes on [this page](http://goo.gl/MIbqX “this page”), for example, everything works fine. I know I’m missing something simple, just can’t track it down. I have a feeling I’m missing a clearfix somewhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

devil3682116
    Participant

This may nt be the solution but may work

.ipsLayout_content {
    width: 685px;
    float: right;
    }

k_mcminn

Thank you for the quick response. While that works, I’m hoping that I don’t have to do it like that. I’d rather have it work the same way as the other page I referenced. If I have to adjust something to achieve that, I will. I hope that makes sense?

wolfcry911
    Participant

Look closely at the markup. On the page with problems the .ipsLayout_content class is used both for the left column _and_ for the container of both columns. Obviously if you try to set the container to the width of only the left column, it won’t be wide enough for both.

k_mcminn

You spotted it, wolfcry911! Let me see if I can fix that real quick. Just so you know, I’m having a difficult time trying to so bear with me.

k_mcminn

wolfcry911! I managed to figure it out. It was tricky, but I did it! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. And, thanks devil3682116 for assisting as well. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.